Author Topic: concept - the fusion reflection  (Read 404 times)

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
concept - the fusion reflection
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:57:50 PM »
the following concept is a rough work in progress. i encourage you to critique any of my ideas or the way they have been presented, as well as welcome you to contribute any thoughts you feel that could add to them.

this is a hypothesis on a fusion's nature.

having followed the development of FFL for some time, including both officially released information and numerous discussions, i noticed a small trend in how fusions were designed that i believe has a lot of potential to be expanded on. specifically, this trend is in the physical and behavioural characteristics of each fusion and how they relate to their original counterpart.

to illustrate what i am saying, let us take the example of Father, and his fusion. A devblog from some time ago confirmed that Father's fusion would take on the appearance of Benedict Uno - his identity prior to becoming a villain. what i find interesting about this choice is that Benedict Uno is described as being 'very cowardly and obedient', scared of his father, Grandfather, refusing to disobey his orders out of fear', or in other words, reflecting a time in Father's past that the now-tyrant would most likely find shameful.

it's almost like the fusion selected that particular form to antagonise its counterpart, preying on his insecurities. because of this, it has led me to believe that all fusions seek to do this in some way or another; whether it is blatantly in their appearance, or more subtly with their behaviour and interactions. they take on the characteristics the original dreads the most about themselves - their regrets, their insecurities they worry about, their fears of what they could be. if this is the case, i feel it would bring a fascinating psychological element to the war between characters and their fusions, and create real depth to both the former and the latter.

there are a number of characters and their fusion counterparts that i have begun to consider for this concept, so i intend to write a brief outline (with possibly some concept art) for each as they become substantial enough. It goes without saying that Father/Benedict Uno is one of them.

MOJO JOJO/JOJO THE CHIMPANZEE

the first character and arguably the one i am most enthusiastic about is Mojo Jojo. he is already quite a sympathetic villain, shown through his tragic origins and the numerous times he has exhibited redeemable qualities in the show. his origins in particular i would like to focus on - in brief he came from the same accident that created the PowerPuff Girls - except when they were accepted and glorified, he was shunned and discriminated. this in turn drove him to hate others for what they did to him - and maybe - himself for what he became*.

this could be very well manifested in his fusion by taking on the form that started it all: Jojo the Chimpanzee. this appearance would constantly remind Mojo Jojo that no matter how powerful he becomes and how much he achieves, he will always at the core be the lab monkey that was in a freak accident and thus became one.

*i've done some research and supposedly the IDW PowerPuff Girl comics develop his inner conflict over his origins further, though i cannot say for sure having not read them. additionally, i quite like the note on the wiki on the partial influence by Caesar's rise in the Planet of the Apes story.

GRIM AND DRACULA/YOUNG AND DUMB

a more humorous set of fusions (dread doesn't necessarily have to equal fear) would be Grim and Dracula. one thing i noticed in the Fusion Grim/Fusion Dracula reveal is that they look like rather younger, somewhat more aggressive versions of their original counterparts. thinking back to the show and how both Grim and Dracula and portrayed as having basically reached tired old age, it would be interesting for the fusions to reflect a time that they may now both look upon with distaste - when they were 'young', angry*, and making all sorts of mistakes.

Fusion Grim reflects a time when Grim was all over the place, using his position as an outlet to strike out against everyone. Fusion Dracula reflects a messy time before he learned to scrape 'n' lick, seeking instead to bite with disastrous results.

*from the wiki, Grim is said to have been somewhat bullied in school and has attended classes to control his anger.

WILT/LORD SNOTZAX

Fusion Wilt resembling Lord Snotzax would make sense since it's one of the times his inability to say 'no' actually put people he cared about in harms way, something I would imagine Wilt would feel guilty about. I like this idea a lot.

as always, thoughts and discussion much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:56:16 PM by dusky »

Keidrich

•  
    Community Team

• Boom Boom
    • View Profile
Re: concept - the fusion reflection
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:59:14 AM »
This is actually really cool and thought out.

I never noticed any of this.  Great job dude.

The_Nintendo_Switch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:02:26 AM »
Really cool idea!

The_42nd_Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:47:05 AM »
Fusion Wilt resembling Lord Snotzax would make sense since it's one of the times his inability to say 'no' actually put people he cared about in harms way, something I would imagine Wilt would feel guilty about. I like this idea a lot.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »

this is definitely along the lines of what i was thinking of. when fusion matter feeds off the object that is used to create each fusion, the most negative experiences are some of the strongest and thus the ones they thrive on the most. this could also explain how some fusions seem to express some good - the original counterpart expresses certain positive characteristics so strongly that they can't help but become part of the fusion as well.

L0rd

•  
    Community Team

• Forum Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Moving to Suggestions...

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:49 PM »
Moving to Suggestions...

i mean i did intend to eventually post a set of fusion appearance suggestions based on these ideas but this thread was more to discuss - though i guess everything here is valuable as a suggestion...

do what you will

dragon_slayer

• Read this and I will give you a hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
Support +1

EntertaininglyBoring

• Formerly FusionGamer on ModNet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
This is a great idea. Support +1.

BenIceRaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:00:43 AM »
Support +1 it's gonna take a lot of research and community support and binge watching old cartoons to figure out an appropriate fusion for some of the characters with not so obvious character flaws.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
Support +1 it's gonna take a lot of research and community support and binge watching old cartoons to figure out an appropriate fusion for some of the characters with not so obvious character flaws.

research is something our lore guys excel at. while i agree not every fusion would be as drastic, every character worthwhile has something. plus, it doesn't have to be expressed in appearance, it could be in behaviour.

BenIceRaven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
Bump cause this is a good idea that needs more attention

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
Bump cause this is a good idea that needs more attention

ty.

given the OP a complete rehaul; proper formatting and added some original concept art.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.