Author Topic: How did you guys even get the code for FF?  (Read 947 times)

Arthas

• View Profile
    • Email
How did you guys even get the code for FF?
« on: July 14, 2018, 06:05:08 AM »
As intriguing as it is, you had to get it some how? You stated that getting codes from wayback didn't work either so how does the developer get the code?

kevinolt

• Woop woop
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How did you guys even get the code for FF?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
They aren't allowed to answer that.

Rezilia

• There's no way to know our future foe scenarios
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
While I'm not too sure how they got it, there's normally two ways people get original game files and code information - hacking or leaks.

Finn_Hornhoover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
While I'm not too sure how they got it, there's normally two ways people get original game files and code information - hacking or leaks.
Depending on the programming language, disassembly is also an option (though it would also classify as hacking I suppose). If the souce code isn't obfuscated, you can get the source back from the compiled binaries with the variable/method names and everything, at least for a language like C#. If it is, you can still get the code back, but it'll take some time to decypher.

Tempo

• 16*29
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »
Depending on the programming language, disassembly is also an option (though it would also classify as hacking I suppose). If the souce code isn't obfuscated, you can get the source back from the compiled binaries with the variable/method names and everything, at least for a language like C#. If it is, you can still get the code back, but it'll take some time to decypher.
You'd need to have an executable first to open it into a dissasembler, and if they had that wouldn't that defeat the purpose of rewriting it?

EDIT: Just remembered they are rewriting the server, not just the client lol oops my bad
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:20:45 PM by Tempo »

Finn_Hornhoover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
You'd need to have an executable first to open it into a dissasembler, and if they had that wouldn't that defeat the purpose of rewriting it?

EDIT: Just remembered they are rewriting the server, not just the client lol oops my bad
You can compile code into DLL files as well, I think that's what they disassembled. Also FF ran on the browser, I don't think it needed an executable.

StevieB219

•  
    Community Manager

• If you read this you're a moose now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
They don't have the code per se. They have the client and are making the server from scratch. That's why edits done to the client are a big deal; they can't simply drop some code in and have it work.

BentoTheBox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:07:41 PM »
They use a program that can anylize network traffic (for example; WireShark) to find out what calls the client made. Then they make a server program that will give the client valid responses when it wants to call the server for something.

Just as an example, when you open your inventory the client might ask the server "how much cash does my player have?" and the server will consult its data base for your name and in that row it will have your current cash value, it will reply with the cash value and the client will display that number in your inventory.

Finn_Hornhoover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »
They use a program that can anylize network traffic (for example; WireShark) to find out what calls the client made. Then they make a server program that will give the client valid responses when it wants to call the server for something.

Just as an example, when you open your inventory the client might ask the server "how much cash does my player have?" and the server will consult its data base for your name and in that row it will have your current cash value, it will reply with the cash value and the client will display that number in your inventory.
The fact that they can partially edit the client leads me to believe they've done more than that, but that could also be true.

Portal2player56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »

The fact that they can partially edit the client leads me to believe they've done more than that, but that could also be true.

another way was if its a downloadable version (when they had disc form for fusionfall when it started) or maybe someone around had an old PC from way back then that had the files on it as if u try using the disc variant now it would not work since ff's shutdown and the transfer to a browser executable which made the discs entirely useless to the common everyday person :-X,tho u COULD still use the disc if u had one lying around to gather the original game files from it thru ripping or so (provided if u have a cd/dvd drive that can rip write protected software that is...)if u had a pc from that time tho that had the data still intact (pre b day bash update and such) u could technically do the same thing but i digress since the devs r rebuilding everything for it from scratch with a few extra bonuses not everyone got to use like the fusionfall victory pack exclusive from launch of ff or clockwork set which was right when ff became free for players tho don't expect those to be in retro or at all as they might and might not make it,thats all up to the devs to decide :P

Tempo

• 16*29
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »

another way was if its a downloadable version (when they had disc form for fusionfall when it started) or maybe someone around had an old PC from way back then that had the files on it as if u try using the disc variant now it would not work since ff's shutdown and the transfer to a browser executable which made the discs entirely useless to the common everyday person :-X,tho u COULD still use the disc if u had one lying around to gather the original game files from it thru ripping or so (provided if u have a cd/dvd drive that can rip write protected software that is...)if u had a pc from that time tho that had the data still intact (pre b day bash update and such) u could technically do the same thing but i digress since the devs r rebuilding everything for it from scratch with a few extra bonuses not everyone got to use like the fusionfall victory pack exclusive from launch of ff or clockwork set which was right when ff became free for players tho don't expect those to be in retro or at all as they might and might not make it,thats all up to the devs to decide :P
I don't think ripping models from FusionFall would help womayhem

Alphe

• illegal coco set trafficker
    • View Profile
    • twitch
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »

I don't think ripping models from FusionFall would help womayhem
At this point, I think Womayhem has everything he needs to complete Retro, minus the fact that there are some minor bugs here and there without solutions.

Also, to the OP: a little off topic, but, I enjoy your name if it is a reference to the Warcraft series. Brings me memories of the WotLK expansion.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.