Author Topic: Tabletop Gaming  (Read 100 times)

MElemental

• Marketing @ BIG MOVE LAXATIVES
    • View Profile
    • BGG
    • Email
Tabletop Gaming
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
First thing first I feel absolutely delighted to see Retro back, and I can't wait til its in full swing. Although I do feel bummed that some of the missions I played in the 2008 beta future won't come back, seems ashame to have all genius grove and candy cove with no activity to do there. Oh well. Second although I haven't kept myself active on the forums, I have definitely followed the development quite closely, and I feel glad to see everything once again. Anyway with the mushy stuff out of the way,

I have had time to play tabletop games, while we wait for Retro and Legacy and I keep my lists on Board Game Geek quite up to date (and I have started updating my RPG geek too). I wanted to know who else plays tabletop here? What kind of board games do you guys like playing?

I have recently gotten back into Dungeons and Dragons, but I consider tabletop RPG's a different beast. However for this thread I don't mind if that discussion shows up here. (I'd actually be down to play/develop a fusionfall setting)
I have also gotten into the ancient games to such as Chess, Poker, and Mahjong.

But other than my recent developments, I mostly enjoy abstract games and euros. Although I wouldn't mind playing most social deduction games (except Secret H). Some area control/tactical combat games also intrigue me.

Here's my top 10 on my BGG:
#1:   Viticulture
#2:   Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
#3:   Zendo
#4:   Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
#5:   Dark Moon
#6:   Looney Pyramids
#7:   Power Grid
#8:   Cursed Court
#9:   The Resistance: Avalon
#10:   Codenames
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:17:22 AM by MElemental »

CrabMan314

• A man with a mutt's heritage and ignoble pedigree.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tabletop Gaming
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »
I'm more of an RPG gamer than a board gamer, but I do maintain a collection of board games. I also have a tendency to collect some odd ones, such as Power Trip, a trivia/strategy game that has both a Space and an Ancient Greek theme to it, and Culinary Challenge, which plays like Trivial Pursuit with one less thing to collect and categories centered around fine foods, fine wines, and fine culture.

The current D&D campaign I'm in, I'm not really fond of it. It's a slower, political campaign, and I made the mistake of rolling a crafter wizard because the GM didn't tell us "You're not going to have as much downtime as you thought you did when you made that guy." OF course, my group seems to think that everyone can be a GM, and this person seems to be a novice who hasn't read a Dungeon Master's guide in his life.

As for a Fusionfall campaign, maybe Star Wars D20/Saga Edition can be hacked to fit? I haven't played the old D6-based one from West End Games, and I find the more recent SW RPG from Fantasy Flight Games to be just mean-spirited in general. Besides, I think that one's less adaptable. GURPS is also an option I suppose, but I haven't read it, so I can't comment on the system.

A friend of mine wants to play a game called Shadowlord that he found in a consignment shop once. It looks fun as far as I can tell. He's compared it to the PC game Master of Orion, but I haven't played that, so I wouldn't know.

MElemental

• Marketing @ BIG MOVE LAXATIVES
    • View Profile
    • BGG
    • Email
Re: Tabletop Gaming
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:42 AM »
Yeah, I haven't started my campaign for this year yet, I've had experience creating a character so that's fast for my, but the rest of the PCs still need to swim through the info. I don't know what to expect, but even though they're new, I expect them to have read the rules first.

As for me, I plan on studying the rules for 2 months before I even attempt to run a campaign. I have books about storytelling in general and papers on linguistics that I plan to read before I DM.

With regards to the Fusionfall setting, I want to emulate the game experience as much as possible but have a group focus instead of the solo hero arch that the game proper provides. I think it would hold interesting results to have a DPS, Tank, Healer, and Support team structure applied to an ff team.
As for systems for a FF setting, I've played around with Open Legends
  • since it doesn't have classes but rather feat buys. I think this component makes it closer to FF character creation but still introduces the RPG element of unique starting builds
  • I also like the potential of the combat system, that introduces success... with a twist. I think it has the potential to add a cartoonish feel.
  • I would have to change the leveling system however, the system only goes up to 10 levels, but I would convert each level in OL to 4 levels in fusionfall

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.