Author Topic: The Spaceworld '97 demo of Pokemon Gold And Silver (Part 1)  (Read 82 times)

AugustRexplasma

• What do you think of this color?
    • View Profile
The Spaceworld '97 demo of Pokemon Gold And Silver (Part 1)
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
(I'll admit, nearly all this info is copy-pasted from the TCRF page dedicated to this, except for little bit and pieces where I voice my opinion on notable things in the demo's code.)

On November 15th, 1997, an early playable demo of Pokémon Gold and Silver was shown at Space World '97. While considered to be a lost treasure, on May 26th, 2018, an anonymous user unexpectedly dumped a ROM of the elusive demo online, twenty years since it was last playable by the public. May Game Freak have mercy on our souls.

<<please refrain from sharing links of this nature>>

Pokémon

The game data contains 251 Pokémon, the original 151 plus 100 additions. Only a handful are obtainable through the demo.

Please note that for a more accurate comparison of how the sprites evolved throughout the game's initial development, the Final sprites shown on this page are from the game's original Japanese release. A handful of sprites underwent further changes during the localization process prior to the game's international release.

In Generation 1 and 2, there wasn't a menu sprite for each Pokémon, therefore a small number of menu sprites had to be shared among 251 Pokémon. The final game has a few additional menu sprites, such as for Ho-Oh, Lugia and Slowbro, but the prototype has some different menu sprites, even for the first 151 Pokémon. For example, Onix uses Geodude's menu sprite in the prototype, instead of the Snake menu sprite in the final.

Original 151

Some of the original 151 Pokémon have updated sprites in this demo, though many of the front sprites are still the ones used in Blue Version. All of the back sprites are new, however, with many seemingly based on the poses seen in the creatures' Blue Version front sprites.

(I would put the sprites here, but it'd take forever.)

Demo 152-251

Many of these Pokémon are unique to this demo and ended up cut from the final game. While the Pokédex numbers are usually different, the final incarnation of these Pokémon (if known) are provided for comparison.

(Here, I'll just put the beta Pokémon here that seem the most interesting to me.)

(The sprites, left to right, of the original Fire-type starter, Honooguma, and it's evolutions. Interestingly, the Stage 1 and Stage 2 Evolutions for all three starters can't be seen, due to missing evolution data (Probably to keep people from seeing them before they were ready.))

(The sprites, left to right, of the original Water-type starter, Kurusu.)

(A scrapped evolution for Ditto, named Animon. Evolved from a Ditto holding the Metal Coat item.)

(The front and back sprites of a scrapped Pokemon and it's Evolution. The base stage of this Pokemon resembles Togedemaru to me.)

(Early design for Raikou.)

An early design for Leafoen, which was apparently going to appear in Gen 2, but wouldn't appear till Gen 4

Notes

Most of the Generation 1 Pokémon front sprites are from the Japanese release of Pokemon Blue.

Pikachu and Sunflora were hard-coded to appear as shiny in the demo.

Rinrin is female-only, Berurun is 50/50.

Erebebii is male-only, Electabuzz is 50/50.

Snubbull is female-only. In the final version it can be either gender.

Hoothoot has a unique "fade-in" send out animation, which was used in a 1996 build and is visible in this footage. It's still present in the final game, but unused.

(Next up will be the content of the debug versions of the demo. Stay Tuned!)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:56:57 PM by sans »

Retron90

• "There's no mistakes, just Happy Accidents" Bob R.
    • View Profile
Re: The Spaceworld '97 demo of Pokemon Gold And Silver (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
Cool! I made a thread about this in July but this one has much more info than mine. Keep updating this and spread the word of this very joyous time to be a Lost Media and Pokemon Fan!

AugustRexplasma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
Cool! I made a thread about this in July but this one has much more info than mine. Keep updating this and spread the word of this very joyous time to be a Lost Media and Pokemon Fan!

Absolutely, I sure will!

(I'll probably post part 2 soon)

AugustRexplasma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
Bonus Segment: Link Cable Club Analysis
(This is from the main Proto article's Talk page, where someone by the name of ONLYUSEmeFEET managed to get the Link Cable Club running in the demos.)

I ran some tests regarding using the Link Cable Club in the Pokemon Gold Spaceworld 1997 demo with various games. I used TGB Dual for testing, both standalone and the Retroarch core. You NEED to change the rom extension to .gb for Link Cable Club to work.  I'm wondering where this information could be added to this wiki page? I'll list my findings here:

Linking with Pokemon Gold and Silver Spaceworld 1997 demos:

I used the debug menu with both instances of the game to warp to the second town, as it has a Pokemon Center with a trading facility, and caught a Gen1 Pokemon in one instance

Trading works fine; its interface is the same as in Gen1

Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DJOzAmvws

Both trainers had different trainer IDs

Battling works fine and is playable, but the Trainer text is garbled; freeze upon re-battling

Battle video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbW8iqQs4EM

Held items used in Linked VS are gone forever after use

Linking with Pokemon Aka (Red) Rev 1

Gold still checks whether or not your party is Gen1 compatible

Gold is transported to a Gen1 Pokemon center after using the time capsule

Gold can only select to trade from a blank menu; battling does not work

Trading works fine; no problems as Gold's trading is Gen1 trading

With trading, you can send a Gold 97 monster all the way to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (Hmm....)

Linking with Pokemon Yellow Rev 0A:

Trading functions the same way as Red

You can trade Pikachu, but Pikachu is not special in any way and will not be holding its light ball in Gold

Pikachu is still shiny in Gold

Linking with Pokemon Ao (Blue) Glitchmon:

I caught three Missingno using the Mew Glitch

All three Missingno crash Blue when viewing their stats in Blue

Trading interface works and Gold is able to view the three missingno as Gen2 Pokemon (Elebaby, Skiploom, and Jumpluff)

Blue Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmZ14Tl-30

Gold cannot obtain any Missingno from Blue as it checks the Pokemon before finalizing the trade

Linking with Pokemon Gin (Silver) and Pokemon Crystal:

Attempted to have Gold trade and battle with Silver's Totodile and Kakuna, then just Kakuna, but nothing was successful

Gold is able to access the trade room, but Gold crashes when waiting for Silver. Silver behaves normally and states the connection has failed

Time capsule does not function at all

Crystal has the same behavior as Silver

sans

•  
    Community Team

• Don't shoot the messenger
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
While I do appreciate you creating this thread, as the information presented is rather interesting, I must ask you to not directly post links to things such as ROM downloads. The thread shall not be locked, no one is in trouble, but I ask you to keep this in mind for future posts and updates. Thank you!

AugustRexplasma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
While I do appreciate you creating this thread, as the information presented is rather interesting, I must ask you to not directly post links to things such as ROM downloads. The thread shall not be locked, no one is in trouble, but I ask you to keep this in mind for future posts and updates. Thank you!

Sure thing, sans!

AugustRexplasma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
    Main Debug Menu

(I'll just put some of the interesting stuff from ye olde debug menu, not all of it.)

Field (フィールド)

Sends you to the beginning of the game with the in-game debug menu enabled.
    • Press B+Start to view the debug menu, which loads on the left side of the screen.
    • Hold B to walk through walls. This also allows you to enter locked or inaccessible doors. Unlike what most Gameshark codes will do, the player is unable to walk out of the map's boundaries and bounces off them when attempting to go past, preventing crashes. As a result, this can be used to bypass Silver at the end of the demo to see the rest of the prototype Johto.

When dropped off into the game, the player will be named コウジ (Kouji) after game/map/parameter designer, Kouji Nishino. Additionally, the game's Pokédex will be completely filled and the bag will be contain items at 99 quantity. Also, the Save option will be enabled.

Field Debug Menu

You can hold B to run faster. This also has the side-effect of allowing you to clip through walls. This no-clipping feature has limited use in this demo, since many areas past the ones limited by the Spaceworld Demo area are set to have no collision via exits anyway (that is to say that the maps themselves often DO have collision, but it is disabled internally when you exit to said maps). It's likely that exits for the older areas are still pointing to the older collision map.

Page 1

• つぎ⊳ (Next⊳) will take you to the next page. You can also just press left or right; in fact, this is the only way to access Page 3. For some reason, pressing "A" will only access the first two pages.
    • とじる (Close) will close the menu.

Character Viewer

キャラ (Chara) allows you to look at all the overworld sprites. All of them are listed in order, but are named かいはつちゅう, "currently in development". Pressing any directional button while viewing a sprite will cause it to animate. Pressing A on some sprites brings up a prompt "これをせんたくしますか?" (Would you like to do this?) Choosing the first option causes the overworld sprite to spawn and follow you around in the overworld. Some sprites without animation frames, such as the Pokémon Center nurses, will display incorrect tiles when animated, while others, like the overworld Poké Ball/item icon, will not change at all.

Transportation

のりもの "Transportation" lets you choose between four movement types: walking, biking, skateboarding, and Lapras (same as Surfing.). Skateboarding isn't fully functional, and will only move properly with B held. It ignores collision data, making it very easy to crash the game as a result.

PC

パソコン "PC" will let you access the PC from anywhere. This is necessary to reach the storage systems, because PCs in Pokémon Centers do not function. The player always has 3 random Pokémon in their PC storage at level 5.

Come Along

つれてけ "Follow/come with" has two options: はじまる "Start" will cause you to follow a NPC with glitched graphics around in a circle for a little bit. You will hop around as well. Be careful where you activate this, as you may be unwillingly taken out of the map's boundaries, causing a game crash. You can open the debug menu while following; selecting おわる "End" will stop the following sequence. After this, if you try to start again, you may instead get the message "ポケモンを つれているときは だめです", meaning "You can't do this when you have a Pokémon." This may imply that it was used for a time when you do not have a Pokémon yet, such as in the beginning of the game.

Oddities
        Starting the game with a save file existing on the cartridge will change the Super Game Boy border to one identical to the final, instead of the one used for the demo. This border is always seen in early magazine photos of the game.
    [/list][/list]

Bonus Segment: Story Mode

Although not completed yet and normally inaccessible, tidbits of a story mode do exist within the ROM. These can be accessed in the Gold debug ROM by changing 0x5585 from 0x8D to 0xB9. The data change will also cause serious issues with movement in some emulators, usually resulting in a crash.

Only the introduction up to the meet-up with the rival appear to be fully coded and playable.

Your rival is given a higher-level Pokémon when you first battle him after receiving your starters due to his party seemingly not being programmed yet, making progressing past this point difficult under normal circumstances.

Even More Oddities

Poison-types can get poisoned, which does not happen in Generation I or II altogether.

Aurora Beam is supposed to occasionally lower the opponent's Attack, but if it is used on a Pokémon with Substitute active and it breaks the substitute, the game will replay the Aurora Beam animation and state that the Pokémon's "9999" fell.

Sketch has an oversight; if your Pokémon Sketches Sketch, the dialog will say that it learned "ヌ" (Nu) instead (most likely reading garbage data), and your Pokémon will run out of moves and use Struggle.

Warp debug menu names may be linked to incorrect maps, as they don't seem to line up.

Skateboard movement is completely broken unless holding B, and bypasses map boundaries.

Pokemon don't have to wait until gaining a level to evolve if they're past their evolution level, gaining experience sometimes starts the evolution.

Bicycle moves at walking speed.

Held item allows Pokemon to use Dig outside of battle.

Multiple held items share their effect with another.

Include a "darkness" implementation by only showing the immediate area surrounding the player, as seen in future gens.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:41:49 AM by AugustRexplasma »

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.