Author Topic: Option to allow non-buddy mail  (Read 154 times)

Juggler

• I'm not small! It's the world that's too big!!
    • View Profile
Option to allow non-buddy mail
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
The current system only allows you to send/receive mail to/from people on your buddy list. Could we get a toggle-able option to allow us to receive mail from non-buddies?

Rezilia

• There's no way to know our future foe scenarios
    • View Profile
Re: Option to allow non-buddy mail
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
If you're asking whether or not you can bot mail other players to scam them into goldbuying, the answer is no.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
If you're asking whether or not you can bot mail other players to scam them into goldbuying, the answer is no.

Bit quick to jump to the worst possible scenario. That wasn't my intention. It would be a toggle that would allow people to mail each other without being buddies. Sounds like a useful thing when you want to contact someone for a trade or whatnot.

Tannhaeuser

• “I don’t want to look—and yet I can’t look away!”
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:04:27 AM »
I'd say the potential for abuse far outweighs any possible advantage that could accrue. I vote no.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
I'd say the potential for abuse far outweighs any possible advantage that could accrue. I vote no.

If it's a toggle-able option that only people who want it can have it, how can it be abused?

Rezilia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

This right here.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:21 PM »

This right here.

So can you explain how something completely optional and turned off by default can be abused?

Rezilia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
Because the moment players turn it on, they'll get spammed. If kids get spammed by bot messages that are inappropriate or hack their computers, parents will rage.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Because the moment players turn it on, they'll get spammed. If kids get spammed by bot messages that are inappropriate or hack their computers, parents will rage.

Messages can't hack a computer, so let's get that out of the way first.

Next up, everything can have configuration options, such as what level a player has to be before messaging you or how long their account has had to exist for. Everything has a workaround.

Retron90

• "There's no mistakes, just Happy Accidents" Bob R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »

Next up, everything can have configuration options, such as what level a player has to be before messaging you or how long their account has had to exist for. Everything has a workaround.
I'm kinda neutral on this right now but I will say spam bots could send LINKS to kids that can send them to a download for a virus or something inappropriate.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:59 PM »

I'm kinda neutral on this right now but I will say spam bots could send LINKS to kids that can send them to a download for a virus or something inappropriate.

On one hand, I get what you're saying, but that's what configurations are for. On the other hand, you could talk to someone through the ingame chat and tell them a link to something, so it's not like it's not already possible.

Rezilia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
Of course it's already possible, but creating a function that literally has no use other than to let people you don't know send you messages that most of the time would be bot spam invites more issues than using public chat.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
Of course it's already possible, but creating a function that literally has no use other than to let people you don't know send you messages that most of the time would be bot spam invites more issues than using public chat.

That's what my configurations suggestion fixes.

Retron90

• "There's no mistakes, just Happy Accidents" Bob R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »

Actually, it more or less makes it just a bit harder to bot spam. You never know what player that can bot spam actually meets the requirements. It also makes the whole idea kinda useless if almost no one can message you as a non-buddy with all these configurations.

Juggler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »

Actually, it more or less makes it just a bit harder to bot spam. You never know what player that can bot spam actually meets the requirements. It also makes the whole idea kinda useless if almost no one can message you as a non-buddy with all these configurations.

My entire idea of this in the first place was to get something that 90% of MMOs have, which is a system to communicate without being on a friend list. Use at your own risk is a part of it.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.