Author Topic: FusionFall Retro Beta v2.5 Patch Notes Discussion  (Read 597 times)

marshal98

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: FusionFall Retro Beta v2.5 Patch Notes Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 05:06:44 AM »
Thanks devs! Happy Valentine! :)

Sonic94

• Recall is useful, fight me.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »
FINALLY! I can use group recall with my friends, still one of my favorite utility Nano powers(Yes I actually genuinely like using the "bad" Nano powers, with Sleep being my favorite).

sleep isn't a bad power. i use it to sneak by enemies easier.

Sleep and sneak can be useful, but snare is just bad.

One thing that suprised me about sleep was it's extremly long duration and 100% success rate. On the wiki it states that sleep doesn't always work, but for some reason it's 100% success rate in Retro(which I don't mind cause it's good for recovering other ability cooldowns and a slightly more fun alternative to sneak). It kinda sucks snare isn't as good, but I still use it mainly for roleplaying or for fun to have some variation.
So presently, it's more effective than Stun?

Bouncer15111

• IGN: Proto Jones & Rex Marksley
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 09:45:00 PM »
Alright, so, I've been thinking about this for a chunk of the afternoon today...

How did certain shirts get eyes stuck in random places on them? Related question, how did you figure out those weird tattoo-looking things were eyes?

Also, how'd you manage to get new world stuff in Candy Cove (that exterminators tent, Bubbie, palm trees, etc)? I thought that the world was more-or-less stuck the way it was for Retro.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:52:17 PM by Bouncer15111 »

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Alright, so, I've been thinking about this for a chunk of the afternoon today...

How did certain shirts get eyes stuck in random places on them? Related question, how did you figure out those weird tattoo-looking things were eyes?

Also, how'd you manage to get new world stuff in Candy Cove (that exterminators tent, Bubbie, palm trees, etc)? I thought that the world was more-or-less stuck the way it was for Retro.

So, in order for player skin to be consistent across all items and look the same for your given skin color, the developers stuck with the simple option of making sure each item used the same skin material with the same skin texture. This skin texture conveniently also gives players knees, fingernails, ears, and nostrils (sometimes anyway, boys don't even get nostrils :( ) This is fine and dandy, but they mistakenly put the default player eyes and mouth on this skin texture as well, even though those are handled by your face texture. They likely used to use the skin to determine face but broke away from that at some point. Again, this could be totally fine, but the way Coco Shirt for example used the skin made those eyes appear on the arms. I honestly have no idea how the original devs didn't notice, it's super blatant.

Regarding the new stuff in Candy Cove, that's actually the result of experimenting with editing terrain and object placement. While not at all intuitive, it basically just proves that with some elbow grease, we can edit certain aspects of areas. That said, this is likely the extent of what we're gonna wind up doing with editing existing areas. There are quite a few limitations, and we don't want to go absolutely crazy editing the map.

Bouncer15111

• IGN: Proto Jones & Rex Marksley
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »

So, in order for player skin to be consistent across all items and look the same for your given skin color, the developers stuck with the simple option of making sure each item used the same skin material with the same skin texture. This skin texture conveniently also gives players knees, fingernails, ears, and nostrils (sometimes anyway, boys don't even get nostrils :( ) This is fine and dandy, but they mistakenly put the default player eyes and mouth on this skin texture as well, even though those are handled by your face texture. They likely used to use the skin to determine face but broke away from that at some point. Again, this could be totally fine, but the way Coco Shirt for example used the skin made those eyes appear on the arms. I honestly have no idea how the original devs didn't notice, it's super blatant.

Regarding the new stuff in Candy Cove, that's actually the result of experimenting with editing terrain and object placement. While not at all intuitive, it basically just proves that with some elbow grease, we can edit certain aspects of areas. That said, this is likely the extent of what we're gonna wind up doing with editing existing areas. There are quite a few limitations, and we don't want to go absolutely crazy editing the map.
Man the original game had the weirdest oversights. Since you can fix items like that, are there any plans to fix the Underfist pants as well (or just add in a new pair that are the same but without the M)?

Also, interesting to hear about how you've figured out how to manipulate the Retro world.

BronyPonyDude

• FFL's #1 Uncle Grandpa fan!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
I'm actually really disappointed that no more nanos are planned to be added. I think it would be pretty nice to have the Johnny Bravo/Flapjack/Zak Saturday nanos available as optional missions since their NPC's are already in the game and it wouldn't be hard to add those nanos back in.

Retron90

• "There's no mistakes, just Happy Accidents" Bob R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »
I'm actually really disappointed that no more nanos are planned to be added. I think it would be pretty nice to have the Johnny Bravo/Flapjack/Zak Saturday nanos available as optional missions since their NPC's are already in the game and it wouldn't be hard to add those nanos back in.

Okay, I'm not on the team but I'm sure adding Nanos ARE FAR FROM EASY. Look we do know that Flapjack and Johnny Bravo Nanos exist in the code. Nano Flapjack being found from as early as 2009 in the original games files and it has been confirmed by, I think, Devan that an unfinished version of Nano Johnny Bravo with missing textures and animations exists in one of the builds. Even though theres this, we don't know if the proper code exists or is available to them. If not, adding back Nanos could be a hassle not worth the time as rewriting pages of code from scratch could be insanely hard.

If executed in a good way, maybe new Nanos could be cool. + The devs have said that if enough outcry and good reasoning from the community is given, things from post-Academy like the Academy and Post-BB Nanos could be looked into.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
Added Nanos as is isn't the challenge, adding them cohesively is the big problem. As far as I know, we can't make optional Nano missions. That means the other option is to add level 37, 38, etc. and content that goes along with those levels. That multiplies the work by a massive amount and we don't really have the means to go about it.

Retron90

• "There's no mistakes, just Happy Accidents" Bob R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
Added Nanos as is isn't the challenge, adding them cohesively is the big problem. As far as I know, we can't make optional Nano missions. That means the other option is to add level 37, 38, etc. and content that goes along with those levels. That multiplies the work by a massive amount and we don't really have the means to go about it.
Look, I have not used Unity a lot and don't know how FusionFalls structure is but is it possible to make a special kind of world mission that doesn't at the end result in a Nano but gives you an item where you can release the Nano? Like the Nano capsules from the Academy builds for Code Nanos and players who were past Level 4 and couldn't get Rex, Alien X, and Finn?

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
Look, I have not used Unity a lot and don't know how FusionFalls structure is but is it possible to make a special kind of world mission that doesn't at the end result in a Nano but gives you an item where you can release the Nano? Like the Nano capsules from the Academy builds for Code Nanos and players who were past Level 4 and couldn't get Rex, Alien X, and Finn?

That's a similar case where those items were made for that update and don't exist in this build without some real hefty modifications. It also would still interfere with the current system, especially the Nanobook ordering. I'm not saying anything like this is impossible, but it's honestly kind of the last thing I think we'd be interested in tackling just because of the sheer workload involved in any of the ways we could implement new Nanos.

BronyPonyDude

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »

That's a similar case where those items were made for that update and don't exist in this build without some real hefty modifications. It also would still interfere with the current system, especially the Nanobook ordering. I'm not saying anything like this is impossible, but it's honestly kind of the last thing I think we'd be interested in tackling just because of the sheer workload involved in any of the ways we could implement new Nanos.

Could it be possible to have these Nanos be “code only” nanos? To where a player inputs the code and immediately upon entering the game the nano pops up, without them having to open an item? The Nanobook situation could be solved with a second page, with all the code nanos.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
Could it be possible to have these Nanos be “code only” nanos? To where a player inputs the code and immediately upon entering the game the nano pops up, without them having to open an item? The Nanobook situation could be solved with a second page, with all the code nanos.

So THEN we have the issue of coding a second page to the Nanobook, which as far as I know, wasn't done with any of their 'inventory' menus, so it would have to be done from scratch, which makes it much more difficult than a copy/paste effort.

It's something we may investigate in the future, but in the meantime, we have other plans that don't involve adding new Nanos.

BronyPonyDude

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

So THEN we have the issue of coding a second page to the Nanobook, which as far as I know, wasn't done with any of their 'inventory' menus, so it would have to be done from scratch, which makes it much more difficult than a copy/paste effort.

It's something we may investigate in the future, but in the meantime, we have other plans that don't involve adding new Nanos.

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m just throwing out there that I believe the majority of players would like new nanos to be added. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate all of the effort you guys are putting in for new content. Thanks for answering, Devan.

Basboos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:50:00 PM »
Will event missions and items be reused in the future? I've missed some of them and i wouldn't like to permanently lose events missions and items I already completed and acquired in the original game

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.