Author Topic: Best Windows 10 Laptop for Retro?  (Read 243 times)

nickdrink19

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Windows 10 Laptop for Retro?
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:56:28 PM »
So I've pretty much given up on trying to install Boot Camp on my Mac simply because of the reason that I think it's too old. It's a mid 2011 and apparently Boot Camp will only work on 2012 models or later. I'm not going to let that keep me from playing this game. I WILL buy a new laptop if that's the case. So in that case could you guys recommend what laptop you think would be to get? Looking to get one with Windows 10 and I'm not going to build a gaming PC for one game.

InfinitePossibilities

• It costed everything.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
Re: Best Windows 10 Laptop for Retro?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »
I'm using a non-gaming laptop to play FusionFall. Any cheap laptop you can find at your local electronics store is good enough.

nickdrink19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:20:13 PM »
What kind of laptop are you using?

InfinitePossibilities

• It costed everything.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
I'm not the best with computers. It's a simple Intel i5 with 8GB of RAM. I payed $500 for it.

SilverDiver771

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 06:01:30 AM »
Any windows laptop released 2015+

kivouzz

• Shhhh. I'm grinding Ultra Rares
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Since you're in the market for a new windows ten laptop, let me give you some pointers: The good news is that FusionFall is a relatively old game so any laptop will do per se, however, don't let that stop you from limiting your options. The answer is well it depends on what your routine looks like and what else you'll be doing with your laptop. Any ultrabook will suffice, I would suggest Dell XPS 13, or Dell XPS 15, ASUS Zenbook or Microsofts Surface. Great processors, great screens, lightweight and good display specs. On the other spectrum if you are looking to use it just for FusionFall as a desktop replacement and you're not planning to carry it on you every day. I'd suggest investing in a gaming laptop. Acer Nitro 5, MSI, and Razers are top picks. Good video cards and great processors for a desktop replacement and decent enough to carry around when the need arises, this opens up your options to play many other games. :) Hope this helps. Any old model / cheap windows laptop will work as well.

blasts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
I use some prehistoric, chunky Dell laptop from 2006.  :-\

Tooni_X

• This text is invisible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:25:16 PM »
i have intel i3 with 2gb ram and works very well XD

AGTRigorMortis

• A nostalgia seeking gamer.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 04:39:41 AM »
As others suggested, any recently made hardware with Windows 10 such as the PC's you purchase from your local electronics store should be sufficient, just make sure it's using x86 and not ARM hardware like the Raspberry Pi's, which don't even meet the minimum system requirements.

I'll post an Amazon link for a laptop with similar specs to mine for you to help, but I can make another suggestion other than someone else suggesting a Microsoft Surface machine.

Try an Intel NUC and connect it to your TV, which would be cheaper if you're buying an old model
Yes they use integrated GPU's, but they should still be plenty powerful for Fusionfall Retro since it was an online game released in 2009.

You could use a wireless keyboard/mouse track pad, or an Xbox One controller with the Intel NUC and you'd be good to go. This is of course if you don't care about portable gaming, but this option would be cheaper. If all you're intending to do is use it for old games like Fusionfall, as well as web browsing, listening to music etc, then this is right for you IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire17-3-i5-7200U-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B01N9YH4WE?keywords=940mx+laptop&qid=1540838404&sr=8-9&ref=sr_1_9#customerReviews

AGTRigorMortis

• A nostalgia seeking gamer.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:11 AM »
Since you're in the market for a new windows ten laptop, let me give you some pointers: The good news is that FusionFall is a relatively old game so any laptop will do per se, however, don't let that stop you from limiting your options. The answer is well it depends on what your routine looks like and what else you'll be doing with your laptop. Any ultrabook will suffice, I would suggest Dell XPS 13, or Dell XPS 15, ASUS Zenbook or Microsofts Surface. Great processors, great screens, lightweight and good display specs. On the other spectrum if you are looking to use it just for FusionFall as a desktop replacement and you're not planning to carry it on you every day. I'd suggest investing in a gaming laptop. Acer Nitro 5, MSI, and Razers are top picks. Good video cards and great processors for a desktop replacement and decent enough to carry around when the need arises, this opens up your options to play many other games. :) Hope this helps. Any old model / cheap windows laptop will work as well.

The problem with the Acer Nitro 5 computer is it's nearly 800USD on Amazon.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderfully priced machine for its specifications, but don't forget not everyone has that kind of money to spend and this may be too much for a person who only intends to play games as old as FFR.

the Acer laptop from Amazon I suggested is almost 200$ cheaper.
In a perfect world I'd love for everyone to have the top specs, especially those on the laptops worth more than 2 grand, so they wouldn't have to upgrade for a substantial amount of time, but simple economics gets in the way of this, always has, always will.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.