Author Topic: FusionFall Retro - An In-depth Explanation for Permanent Updates  (Read 7297 times)

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
FusionFall Retro - An In-depth Explanation for Permanent Updates
« on: February 12, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »
Hey, everyone! This is going to be a lengthy post addressing some of the concerns we’ve been hearing in regards to us adding content to FusionFall Retro, so buckle in!

First and foremost, we’d like to address why it is simply not feasible to go about leaving FusionFall Retro as a snapshot in time.

Games like FusionFall are exclusively online and are designed to have an influx of updates in order to keep player interest past what’s there initially. A large portion of the gameplay loop relies on players interacting with each other, and should we leave the game static, as a “snapshot” of what FusionFall was, general interest in the game would gradually decrease as people complete the game and defeat Lord Fuse. As the number of players decreases, the less people there are to talk to, trade with, team up with and so on, so the less fun the experience gets for everyone. In fact, it’s very likely that in this scenario the number of players would eventually decrease until it got to the point where it simply wouldn’t justify what it costs us to keep FusionFall Retro online.

While it is unfortunate that there isn’t a “snapshot” of the game where you can play a version of the game exactly identical to the one playable in January 2010, hosting that separately would be expensive and also fragment the already small community, and our statistics back up new content & events being very much beneficial to the health of the community as a whole.

Next, it’s important to address why the content we are adding is not identical to the updates that the original FusionFall received. Through FusionFall’s life, the game went through two separate teams of developers, being the original team behind the game, and a later team brought in after about a year to take over updates. The second team that was updating the game didn’t adhere to the first team’s plans and instead were tasked with making updates that were more so used as advertisements, which resulted in an oversaturation of lower level missions with very little late game content added throughout the game’s life. Paired the second team’s extremely controversial removal of the Future Zone, we elected not to go down this path.

While we in no way have the resources, tools, or assets required to be able to totally faithfully adhere to the original team’s intentions, we’re striving to remain as faithful to the original plans for expansion as possible. We’d like to stick to their original ideas and concepts that we’ve been able to uncover, and implement as much as we can in a way that feels organic to the original game, interesting for the players, and faithful to what was originally planned for FusionFall in 2010 and beyond.

Finally, we’d like to address what FusionFall Legacy is in relation to FusionFall Retro, since there’s some confusion on that front as well. The original goal of Legacy from some years back was to recreate the original game in entirety, while also introducing a few new elements to keep things fresh, as we’ve been doing with Retro. As you may be able to guess, Retro already fills that role, and has for some time, so we instead decided to go in a completely different direction with Legacy. The goal of Legacy now is to be a completely separate game, with different mechanics, combat, features, items, NPCs, etc. while still being a ‘FusionFall’ game.

The story and ideas of Legacy in both lore and gameplay are born from FusionFall, but we’ve revisited nearly every single aspect of the original game and decided to address if it felt fun, if certain things felt meaningful or needed to be present in the game at all, and if we should be introducing new elements to make something more coherent. The short version is that FusionFall Retro and FusionFall Legacy are two totally different games, and to expect FusionFall Legacy to simply “replace” Retro down the line is not a sound mindset, especially considering the shift in game genre between them.

We hope this helps those of you who are confused or even against FusionFall Retro receiving updates and new content understand why it is important that the world of FusionFall continue to expand, and we hope that it’s made clear that we’re doing our best to make sure that everything we add feels right and remains faithful to the core ideas behind FusionFall Retro to the best of our ability.

InfinitePossibilities

• It costed everything.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
Re: FusionFall Retro - An In-depth Explanation for Permanent Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »
The FuFa Retro & Legacy team brought the game back. That's all we wanted. Everything else is extra. Thank you so much. <3

BenButtoncoyote

• Infinite knowledge
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
I honestly think that you guys have been making an excellent work with the updates to Retro, I don't know how far those updates can go (talking about post 2011 updates), but I'm quite sure that the whole community appreciates every single update and I've never seen someone complaining about them. And honestly the updates here have been well managed to the point that it feels like the original game. The only thing I would've added are the big cover pictures in the main page of FFR when an update is released to keep that same feeling of the original game.

About Legacy, is quite interesting the fact that you guys want to change a lot of stuff. If the gameplay can be improved compared to Retro, then definitely do it, but also please ask the community on feedback too, we are usually spectators watching your progress and enyoing what you guys have ready for us and a little bit of feedback in those decisions may help the communication and relation between the players and the developer team. One of the great examples was allowing the community to create items and clothes for the avatars providing a blank picture. And also commenting and showing some of your progress will also help us understand the speed of the development of the game, so the community will know what's being worked on instead of claiming for something to be done. I understand that few people in the community are like that.

At the end, every thing yo do to improve both games is highly appreciated and even if in some days the population decreases, there's days where you lag from the number of players playing in one single zone because of the events. That keeps the game alive and tottaly appreciate all of that work! Good luck for everything in the future!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:00:30 PM by BenButtoncoyote »

Sane

• Staying 2 and 10 on the wheel of Karma.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
┈┈┈┈┈┈▕▔╲
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂╱┈▕▂▂▂▏
▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏
▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏
▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I

batmaniac

• 𝓨𝓸𝓾𝓻 "𝓜𝓸𝓬𝓱𝓲" 𝓢𝓾𝓹𝓹𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓻 Wu Yifan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
You guys are doing an amazing job in making us stay for the long run.
I'm now even more hyped about the "sequel." Much appreciated.

Poppleworks

• IGN: Mister Poppleworks
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
I don’t think I’ve ever loved any game more than this one. That’s not because of how good it is, I’m certain Legacy will blow it out of the water, but just the passion it brings out in you guys. Everyone on this dev team is amazing.

EDIT: Actually I really love Portal 2 the most but FusionFall is still up there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:16:35 PM by Poppleworks »

Sonic94

• unintentionally upsetting ppl in 10 seconds flat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised this thread is open for discussion. Normally announcements like this are in closed threads.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised this thread is open for discussion. Normally announcements like this are in closed threads.

Given recent discussion about updating Retro and adding content to it, we really wanted a single, open place for people to discuss it.

Sonic94

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »

Given recent discussion about updating Retro and adding content to it, we really wanted a single, open place for people to discuss it.
That makes sense.

Ambfibia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
What about new nanos, location, characters from new cartoons CN in retro? ::)

Crystal_Ranger_Danny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »
What about new nanos, location, characters from new cartoons CN in retro? ::)
Idk how they would implement the new nanos, if they wanted to do that then they would have to change the game's level up system and im not sure if they are able to do so. Locations won't be a thing (i think), yeah we have stormalong (and maybe a few more) but none of the assests can be found in retro itself. Last but not least only characters that can be found in the games files are able to make it in retro, don't expect stuff such as clarence, uncle grandpa, regular show etc

CrazEncyclomaniac

• Numbuh 2 should leave Mojo Jojo alone.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
If this is the case, than I am kind of worried for the development of Legacy, since Retro is now getting major updates by the looks of it from now on, it seems we will have to stick with Retro for a few more years at best.
Not saying this is a bad thing, but something I think should be addressed.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
I'm really pleased to see this. I can imagine that it might have been challenging to decide to write this kind of post as it can put you into a bit of vulnerable position, and it's tempting to simply avoid it and move on when you have more or less the majority of the community's support anyway. So I thank you for that. I'd also wager that a couple of points brought up in recent threads on the Legacy boards played a role in making this decision, especially when thinking about the long-term.

I'm looking forward to more of these kinds of threads in the future. Not necessarily to address a problem, but just to offer some insight to the community when it could benefit.

Sonic94

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »
Well I'm glad to see they haven't forgotten about the remaining features. I mean, I hope Retro doesn't have to stay in beta for another year or so but if it does, that's okay. Good communication here though, thank you!

DiegoalCosta19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »
I’ve always wondered where the game would’ve gone if the original team had stayed on. I assume we would have eventually ended up on Planet Fuse.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.