Author Topic: Revised Map + New Areas (Now Featuring Version 3!)  (Read 1075 times)

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
Revised Map + New Areas (Now Featuring Version 3!)
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
I started this as a reply to Poppleworks in my other thread and well, it got out of hand. I've had a bit of fun today thinking about what problems I had with the original game's map and how I would fix them, all while incorporating some new areas I think would be fun. This is definitely in progress as I am writing this late at night while very tired.

Introduction

One thing that is important to me is increasing the believability of the map’s geography and the feeling of scale throughout it. In other words, trying to expand on certain areas of the map or introduce additional features to get the game world to really become a sum of its parts rather than often feeling like a patchwork of iconic landmarks. After looking at some other famous game maps (e.g. GTA: San Andreas) and real life examples (e.g. Canadian cities closer to the more untamed part of the country), what I think it is worth considering is moving on from the somewhat limiting grid design – you’ll notice for example several repetitions of the same areas in the Wilds; the idea behind this is that some areas could be better structured if they didn’t need to be confined to a square, and by getting rid of it it would allow the transitions between some areas to feel much more fluid. Looking at the original map, the world really looks kind of odd and stretched out – what I’d like to see is a more cohesive land mass, with room to directly expand upon further down the line (rather than introducing a bunch of islands).

A big issue I have with the original game’s map is the reliance on giant, hilly borders between areas. I expect this is to glue together areas that may not lead smoothly into each other due too many differences in theme, atmosphere, etc. – so one of the biggest changes I have tried to make to the existing locations is rearranging them so that moving between them feels natural and logical in terms of potential missions/story. I’ve also tried to think about which areas could logically fit on the coast, and also have gone back to read up on some of the show canon to remind myself where some areas would expect to be located based on their show.

The Map (V3)

Describing the Suburbs

Despite being a primarily residential area, the neighbourhoods in the Suburbs feel quite isolated. The way I’ve tried to correct this is by trying to answer three questions: where does the player start, where does the player go, and which characters would believably live near each other?

Answering the first question has led to a somewhat controversial decision – separating Heroes Square from Sector V and making it its own thing. As exciting as it is seeing that treehouse almost immediately upon arriving, one has to admit the square itself feels kind of out of place sitting in the corner of the area. By bringing it into its own area I want it to feel more important– there’s a POTD showing it sitting by a body of water, which I think is a great direction that if taken even further allows the square to become the Suburb’s ‘peak’. I visualise it sitting on a raised area overlooking the water and branching off to the areas around it; the sort of place local characters might regularly visit. Moreover, separating Sector V from it landlocks the area, making it feel less isolated from the rest of the Suburbs as I personally felt it was in the original game.

From there came the second question – which was simply a matter of which arrangement around Sector V felt best. One thing I’d really like to push for is making the journey across the map feel less linear, i.e. instead of completing an area and never coming back to it again, having the player zigzag back and forth across them so that they remain relevant for a lot longer. You might also notice an attempt to group as many residential areas together as possible, so that the hills can be replaced with more houses and streets.

To the East, I’ve introduced an area that just made sense the more I contemplated it – Peach Creek Orchard. It’s a pleasant area that bridges Wilson Way and Hookslice Hills well, introduces the Suburb’s main hub’s namesake, provides somewhere new early on for the player to explore and for more characters from the show to hang out who might not fit as well elsewhere.

To the West, I’ve decided to have Pokey Oaks border with Endsville because I always found the transition from techy Genius Grove to spooky Eternal Vistas jarring in a bad way. Pokey Oaks North and South feel relatively ‘neutral’ compared to the other areas, so I visualise the transition being much more gradual. I move Habitat Homes (again) to the north of Pokey Oaks North, because it had no place being where it previously was, and it better fits bordering the water and the beginnings of the Wilds. It’s also nicer being neighbours with Foster’s.

Endsville East would be mostly Endsville as it currently exists in the game – drawing heavy inspiration from Halloween. Endsville West would draw more inspiration from the 80s era of horror – more monster and slasher than magical and supernatural (so Halloween the movie). Suggestions for points of interest include Endsville Elementary; for characters include Irwin, Jeff the Spider, and Fred Fredburger; and for mobs include the Slaughterback, the Basebrawler, and the Ghoul Monitor. The Slaughterback is a grotesque, bloated creature wearing a quarterback’s uniform that charges the player. The Basebrawler has a thin, hunched figure and drags a broken baseball bat along the ground after it, ready to swing at the player. The Ghoul Monitor looks just like what you’d imagine a hall monitor to look like, but even uglier.

The Nuclear Plant sticks out alone in this map, which I really like because I visualise it now being more of a large structure jutting out over the water, possibly dumping illegal waste it into it.

Describing Townsville

Moving from Endsville to City Point always felt almost, but not quite so impressive to me. City Point is simultaneously too big and too small due to its main attraction being Dizzyworld, and Dizzyworld is really one of the more pitiful infected zones. I’ve come to the conclusion that separating the two concepts might encourage both to fulfil their potential – moving Dizzyworld to take up its own area makes room for it become a much more impressive infected zone to explore; and emptying up City Point opens the potential to do something more interesting with the area to impress the player. Admittedly, I’m not too sure what – basic ideas could include rows of high-rise apartments where rodent-based (raccoons as well as rats?) mobs would really feel at home roaming around. A character interested in protecting the border between the two regions or taming the infestation could fit well here.

South of Dizzyworld is Townsville General Hospital, placed well due to the former’s dangerous reputation. Suggestions for mobs include the Night Shift Nuisances and Needleheads. The Night Shift Nuisances are evil nurses made up of various medical utensils, and the Needleheads are incredibly short monsters that move in packs; their heads are giant swollen syringes. Suggestions for potential characters include Jimmy and Sarah, or characters who may want to be near a hospital.

To the East of Townsville General Hospital is City Station, the city’s transport hub. I visualise this being much more dramatic in having several ‘gates’ with sliders departing along branches towards all of Townsville’s hot spots. Further to the East is Galaxy Gardens, a little more alone now that it was before to make the area feel a little more peaceful. Part of me also wishes the original wasn’t completely dominated by an infected zone – I really like botany and enjoy wandering through gardens.

Townsville Center is still in the centre. But now, Mojo’s Volcano has been moved to a position that better fits with the show’s canon – close to the park and close to City Hall.

I like the idea of City Hall bordering the water, so I’ve chosen to move Tech Square from where it was before. I think Tech Square is dramatic enough to also stand relatively alone without feeling isolated but backing it up on two sides are Little Tokyo and Townsville Main Street. Little Tokyo is one of the areas I’d love to see realised the most – it’s something that could be a lot of fun designing and breaks up the futuristic tone a little bit that dominates the rest of the city. Inspirations for mobs could be drawn from many iconic concepts in Japanese pop culture. Townsville Main Street reworks the ideas that can be found in part of Marquee Row – namely the more retail-orientated buildings such as shops, supermarkets, theatres, arcades, and other such things. Inspirations for mobs could draw from all sorts that fit in that theme.

To the furthest West is multiple areas that make up the touristy part of town, including the Library, Zoo, and Aquarium.  Suggestions for the Library mobs include the building’s gargoyles and statues come to life as described in Tann’s popular suggestion. The Library also connects particularly well with the other two due to what I imagine Boomer and Jackie’s mission line to be.

I’ve decided to make Marquee Row stick as a sort of metaphor for it being a hub for the city’s art and music scene. The main inspiration in how I visualise it comes from my time visiting Berlin – streets decorated with elaborate graffiti art, artists and musicians busking at every corner, and this effect of being surrounded by water due to rivers cutting through the city at multiple points. Marquee Row is already the last stop on the slider, so this is just taking that vibe of finality to the maximum.

Describing the Xiŗ Tiān Bridge

From Google, Xiŗ Tiān is ‘Summer’ in Chinese. I chose this name in this language because the bridge leads to Orchid Bay, which I would really like to see embrace its original show’s Chinese influences. Summer is the first word that came to mind when I thought about what word fits the game best.

Apart from an impressive bridge, one thing that could be explored is mobs that roam the water. I’m not sure how it could work, but there’s an idea.

Describing Bellwood

I just love the idea of Bellwood and Townsville being sister cities. I’ve moved a number of areas from the original game to this city that I felt might fit better. I wanted to go for a part coastal, part multicultural European (or LA? I'm not American so I'm not sure if that's accurate) vibe.

Orchid Bay is another one of those areas that I think could be expanded. Orchid Bay becomes a proper docks to fully accommodate ships coming and going. Adjacent is Orchid Walk, a touristy seaside area filled with specialty shops, museums, and the skate park. It also leads to Bravo Beach, a very hip area already in the original game but made even more so when the villas overlooking are properly expanded into Bellwood Hills.

Bellwood Boulevard is Bellwood’s main street, and hybrid equivalent to Townsville’s City Station and City Center with multiple shops, restaurants, and a station to travel across the city from. I visualise a lot of trees lining the streets and tables outside with parasol umbrellas. It is connected to Bellwood Market, inspired by some famous food markets such as Borough Market in London, where vendors gather to sell artisanal goods and fresh produce (including fish caught daily from the docks).

Morbucks Towers has been completely changed to become a very chic, expensive apartment area for the rich. There is still construction, but rather than one large site it is in the form of renovating one of the most famous towers (suggestions include Morbucks or Billions Tower). The infected zone would then criss-cross up through the interior and exterior of the tower.

Polyneux District is famous for its largely robotic population and its retrofuturistic vibes (and it's known for being where Robot Jones is from). Visualising it I take a lot of inspiration from Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Adjacent to it is Steam Alley, a grittier, more steampunk area with potential links to Undertown (there was also a really nice suggestion a while back about the area being caught in a time loop).

Offworld Plaza remains the go-to location for space and aliens, but now also hosts the Plumber Headquarters (and access to the Null Void within).

Mega Institute of Technology is where the Test Sisters go study - being adjacent to Offworld Plaza there have been a lot of collaborations in the work they both do.

Upper and Lower Eastside are Bellwood's residential areas. Suggestions for characters that live here include Ben & co., Johnny Test & co., Rex & co. (omitting the parallel universe), and where Sheep has escaped to.

Gollywood is the final area in Bellwood, a set of movie studios were some of our self-absorbed characters may have flocked to. Suggestions for characters include Space Ghost and Moxy as rival TV hosts.

Describing the Wilds

This was hard, because ultimately, this is the part of the game that I feel would benefit the most from more realistic geography.

The blocks of ‘Prickly Pines’ and ‘Twisted Forest’ is more of a visual aid than a full-on suggestion for that area being so big. In the case of the former, every suburban area below I’ve placed because they would be ideal in bordering with the forest. This kind of buffer increases the feeling of distance between some areas, and therefore increases the believability that if you go far enough in one direction you encounter a tropical rainforest, but if you go far enough in another you encounter open desert.

I also finally learned what Acorn Flats really is… I’ve placed it somewhere more sensible.

Miner Town is a retool of ‘The Badlands’ from my first version of the map. It’s a bit of a placeholder name, but an apt description of what I visualise being a culmination of the huts that can be found in Haunted Ridge into a full-blown village reminiscent of the Old West. It would sit at the foot of the cliffs of Devil’s Bluff and Canyon, looking out to sea. Suggestions for characters could include moving Gwen to here in favour of making the Pimpleback Mountains more of a proper mountain range.

West of the the Ruins are the Abysal Plains. Whereas Nowhere is like the American desert, the Abysal plains are like the African Savanna. A grassy, seemingly empty region until one comes across a tangle of knotted trees. Beyond them is the lost city of Abysus. I haven't seen much of Generator Rex but I visualise the city potentially taking inspiration from Gothic architecture, particularly that found in Prague, the Czech Republic. At the far side at the end of a tapered point of land stands Van Kleiss' castle, where the man himself can be found. Another potential character could be Professor Paradox, who being immune to Van Kleiss' attempts to get him out is investigating something at his leisure.

On an island in the middle of the ocean lies Stormalong Harbour. I positioned it so it could be visited around the same time as the Wilds, and also because I'd like it to see it have a strong trading relationship with Marzipan.

Describing the Deserts

All right, so basically I have to admit that I just freestyled what names I think might fit the areas of Nowhere as hinted at in that blog post from way back, so there’s not much use dwelling on which is what exactly. Aside from the military complex, though, one suggestion for a character + location is somewhere is the Katz Motel, or alternatively some of the other notable antagonists from Courage’s show.

The Great Mistake is a very rough idea, but essentially what I visualise is some sort of giant sculpture (such as what could be found at Burning Man) and a storyline that leans towards wastelandy, cultish themes. Perhaps some sort of end-of-world group that actually support the invasion have taken up shop there. Or this could be the source of a portal to another dimension and the group are superstitious folks guarding it.

Describing the Darklands

I believe the Darklands should be part of the mainland. I also believe it will have to be changed significantly to allow the story to progress past it. I've inserted the existing Darklands areas simply because that is what exists in the original game, minus Fuse's Lair. Story-wise, I think the Darklands should be focused on how everything started - what happened when Fuse first arrived, what happened at the battle of Heroes Hollow (and what went wrong), and the origins of Planet Fuse. Suggestions for characters include the cast of Time Squad, Doc Saturday, Kiva, Rook, and Agent Six - essentially characters that would be capable and interested in conducting investigations in such dangerous territory. Moreover, I think Hero's Hollow should be renamed to 'Heroes Hollow' - this would mirror Heroes Square in a poetic way.

There is also another character I would like to see in the Darklands - Aku. However, the idea I'd had for how he could fit is something I'd like to write about in another thread.

Bridging the Darklands with Marzipan was an interesting exercise to think about. I eventually found my answer - the Forest of the Unknown from Over the Garden Wall. Although I don't think it would do Wirt and Greg justice to place them there - an alternative character could be Marceline. I've also added Pottsfield as I think it is one of the most-remembered places seen in the show, has some of the most memorable characters, and also because it provides a means to leave the forest for open air.

PLEASE SEE REPLIES FOR CONTINUATION.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:30:21 PM by dusky »

PeppermintDaniel

• That's how mafia works
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Revised Map + New Areas
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
From the way you describe it, it sounds really good. I'd have to see it in action to really give an effective judgment.

Toprrinc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:57:23 PM »
I like this map.

The idea of having a large bridge area sounds really cool, a similar concept to forgotten falls, but modernized.

I would also love to see a Tokyo inspired section of the map as well.

I feel like the twisted forests should lead somewhere though. I would put the temple above or to the left or really twisted forest. Maybe put a jungle tribe themed area to the east of regular twisted forest.

Lastly, I always thought a cool region on the map should be a Winter themed zone. This would include areas such as Ice King's Castle, Santa's Workshop, and the KND winter base (which would lead to a KND Moon Base IZ)

Beast246

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Pretty cool map, but what about removing bluff and canyon as well? Since Mt. Blackhead is meant to be an outpost why not change bluff into a No mans land or Forbidden desert that would eventually lead into nowhere and be the start of the deserts/badlands. The lore behind it would be something along the lines of a huge battle with fuse's army attempting to overtake Mt. Blackhead and a bunch of the deceased mobs fusion matter ended up accumulating and it being enough to flood the zones (bluff and canyon)and level out the area (erosion I guess?) for it to become flat. If it were to go down the No man's land route it would end up being overrun after EVO's/Fuse's minions (from generator rex) after the KND soldiers and anyone else who participated in the battle were forced to retreat which would lead to the area being overrun. This Area could even be made into an infected zone where it takes up most of the whole zone kind of like dark glade.

Possible N.P.C's that can be added or implemented in between blackhead and No man's land/ The Forbidden desert are Providence agents with Dr. Holiday and Bobo around here or characters from the secret Saturday's (I'll get back to you on this as I plan on watching this show in the coming days for ideas).

Edit: I just remembered an area like this is already in generator rex which is called the Bug Jar which is already enclosed by a barrier do to being overrun by Evo's and I also didn't notice your little providence inclusion towards the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:58:30 PM by Beast246 »

casualty

• Science ^-^
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »
Personally, I like the new changes made! :)

However (no offence), I feel that there could still be some slight changes that could be made.

Habitat Homes, Hookslice Hills and Wilson Way
I feel that the positions of Hookslice Hills and Wilson Way should be switched and Habitat Homes should be placed between Hookslice Hills and Scorn Flats. Since Habitat Homes projects a "Wild yet modernized" appearance to it which juxtaposes with that of Acorn Flats. Moreover, it serves as a "preview" of what The Wild. I also find that the blend of nature and surrealism (Foster's Homes) also makes the place much more appealing and the interaction between characters of both shows more interesting.

Genius Cove
It would be ideal for Genius Cove to be situated next to Hookslice Hills and above Peach Creek Commons since this makes it easier to study Imaginary Friends and strengthening the defenses of the cardboard walls.

Marquee Row
Marquee Row should be placed after the bridge, near the beach rather than placing it before the bridge. After all, music and concerts paired with the feeling of summer and relaxation makes these 2 locations extremely amazing to hang out! Likewise, it would be profitable this way since there would be more crowds of people going to the auditorium. This also provide a great opportunity to have more missions centered around this area too (eg. Fusion Monsters causing a ruckus and scaring off audiences and Buttercup could ask you to get rid of them?)

Galaxy Garden
Galaxy Garden should be placed either below Townsville Zoo or below Townsiville Aquarium. All this 3 areas have one thing in common, which is nature and tourism. These 2 factors make it ideal for them to be near each other. Also, they are also a "family area" for people of all ages.

The Ruins, Mount Blackhead, Pimpleblack Mountains, Mount Whitehead
I prefer the original location of The ruins, being placed next to Devil's Bluff. However, the IZ should be placed in between the borders of the 2 locations since an ancient temple near the lush jungle and the arid lands has a sort of charm to it.
To make the place even more interesting, the first thing is to add some totems and ancient structure to Devil's Bluff. Another thing is to add some lore to the change. Eg. A legend about some mythical god turning part of the place into a dessert because of something interesting and the people moved and constructed a village in Devil Bluff's to appease him or something(It also helps to explain the history and significance of the totems and that village in Devil Bluffs.)

Mount Blackhead should be placed next to it as the KND can research more the ruins so as to understand the magic in the temple and how to defeat Fuse with it. Mount Whitehead is placed next to Pimpleblack Mountain placed and the latter is next to Mount Blackhead so the terrain, environment and fauna flow well.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 02:45:18 AM »
Okay, letís do this again - still late at night, still sleep deprived, I never seem to learn. This is a major rewrite to better explain my reasoning and tweak some rough ideas in the first version. I am going to attach a quote of the original map below for the record and replace the OP with the rewrite.

Poppleworks

• IGN: Mister Poppleworks
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Revised Map + New Areas (Now Featuring Version 2!)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 03:07:49 AM »
I just realized I never responded to this response to my idea. Whoops!

LOVE it. Not much I can say except that it really works quite well. I will admit Iím still not into the idea of the square borders, but after roaming the Darklands a bit more I think thereís a bit more room to work there than I initially thought.
Wonderful work.

1SDAN

• Need help changing your profile? http not https!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 03:42:32 PM »
Isn't Goat's Junkyard close to the City in Megas XLR? Peach Creek could be moved closer to the city with Goat's Junkyard between it and City Point.

Also, I really like the idea of Habitat Homes being adjacent to The Wilds. It seems like such an obvious choice I'm surprised it wasn't used in Retro.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:00:56 PM by 1SDAN »

Ruth

• ℱancy Unicode doesn't make you special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 03:44:33 AM »
I would prefer this map if Genius Grove and whatever Tech Square is were right next to each other like they are in the original game. It just makes sense to have Dexter and Mandark's houses be close to each other.

Numbuh1Nerd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
I would prefer this map if Genius Grove and whatever Tech Square is were right next to each other like they are in the original game. It just makes sense to have Dexter and Mandark's houses be close to each other.
Isn't the Infected Zone in Genius Grove Mandarks' house? I'm pretty sure the buildings in Tech Square are just their labs, with Dexter's having a new house built on top for his parents.

Numbuh1Nerd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »
This is fantastic! Everything here makes so much sense and really does blend together kinda flawlessly!

If I had to make some suggestions, though...

I think the lore you've mentioned involving Tech Square and MIT could be reflected in the features of each area. They're directly across from each other, so some kind of visual connection across the water would be nice, if not some sort of fast travel between the two.

Would there be some sort of barrier between Heroes Square and Genius Grove? I feel like presenting new players with both the Sector V treehouse and Dexter's Lab from the starting gate would lead to a lot of players heading in the wrong direction. Whether that's necessarily a bad thing or if it could be combated by Genius Grove just having higher level Fusion monsters is up for debate, but it's something to consider if you haven't.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
Re: Revised Map + New Areas (Now Featuring Version 3!)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 09:29:34 PM »
So I've been having some fun going even further now than the original game's regions. I've pasted the new half here as OP had become too long:

Describing Marzipan

Admittedly, I haven't seen a whole lot of Chowder. But I admire it for being such a unique, colourful show. The city of Marzipan is fascinating to read about if anything - inspired primarily by Islamic architecture with a culture driven by food. It would amazingly fun to explore.

I wanted the experience of first seeing Marzipan to be impactful, especially after passing through the Darklands. Seeing it as it is described as quite a closed-off, isolated city, I took inspiration from one of the most iconic - the Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz. Passing through Pottsfield the player comes across a winding path crossing through the hilly Meach Fields - a path that leads to the great gates of Marzipan Crust. I visualise the city as either being surround by a wall or elevated high - with Marzipan Crust being the only way in from this side.

Upon entering Marzipan Crust the player may navigate the outer neighbourhoods to get to Uptown Marzipan - where they will find Mung Daal's Catering. As well as the owners, suggestions for characters in the area include Madame Foster and Duchess - who initially came on holiday on a food tour but now find themselves sticking around to help out (well, Madame Foster is anyway).

At the center of the city is a holy site - the Temple of Hunk, dedicated to the people's deity. As it would be impossible to include Hunk as he is actually depicted in the show, I thought it would be a nice way to include him while also making room for an indoor temple area in the game. Suggestions for characters include Kimchi and the cast of Camp Lazlo - specifically the main trio, who have come to explore after Raj had reason to believe that his ancestors were from here.

To the east of the temple is King's Bazaar - or the Farmer's Market as called in the show, just with a more dressed-up name. This would take inspiration from a traditional Middle Eastern market, or souk. Suggestions for characters include Schnitzel, who was shopping for ingredients but now commits himself to defending the place, and Gazpacho (and other regular members of the market).

Further east is Mount Fondoom - It'd be a little annoying to have another mountain as an infected zone, but it may make a good infected zone.

Adjacent to Marzipan Crust is the Queen's Stadium(s) - I cam across several stadiums in the show canon, so I wasn't sure what to pick. It could be one massive one, or several smaller ones. Either way, this would also be a solid candidate for an infected zone.

Marzipan Skyport (alternative name: Marzipan Aerodrome) is the city's main transport hub - it is said in the show that the city being isolate means that people have to fly in, so I thought it would be cool to have a sort of tower with several levels allowing airships to dock in. I visualise being a little steampunk, a little like something out of a Studio Ghibli film.

The Wonder Hole is the city's biggest hole. There's something odd about it since the invasion started which is being investigated. This is also another potential infected zone.

The Other Side of Marzipan is the city's ghetto area alluded to in the show. It's rundown, it's creepy, and it's filled with unsavoury characters. Suggestions for a character include Red Guy up to something suspicious.

To the far east are the Cabbage Marshes (alternative name: Cabbage Swamps) where Kimchi is from. The area is populated by Kimchi's people, as well as being swarmed by fusion clouds. This could also have a bit of a Bayou vibe, with NPCs looking and speaking in that style. Potential suggestions for characters could include Charmcaster investigating some old magic?

The final area is Route 17, the only other way out of Marzipan. It's a long road surrounded by hills, with a odd climate in that it goes from urban to rural to desert depending on where you are in the area. The most important, though, is that it connects to Elmore Expressway.

Describing Elmore

Elmore was the hardest area to design. This is because many of the ideas that work for Elmore could simply be absorbed by the Suburbs or the City. Nevertheless, I've tried to come up with something that makes the city worth standing alone. Bear in mind that I haven't seen much of Gumball, nor the shows from its generation onward either.

After crossing the Elmore Expressway the player enters Elmore Communities, the city's residential area. Surprisingly, the show doesn't have an official name for where everyone lives so I thought it would be fun to tap into the small town vibes the show often gives off. Aside from the cast of Gumball, suggestions for characters living here include Cow and Chicken, Squirrel Boy, the cast of Craig of the Creek, the cast of Clarence, and the cast of Uncle Grandpa.

Based on what I understand from the couple of episodes I've seen and the wiki, I've placed Creek where I think is appropriate. Similar to Townsville and Bellwood, rather than have every show city be its own thing I've had the more well-known ones absorb the features of those from similar shows, with the names being a nod to where they're from. Herkleston Creek taking up three squares is again more of a suggestion to its shape, rather than an insistence on its size. Suggestions for characters apart from the obvious also the include the bears from We Bare Bears.

Rainbow Factories is the industrial area Nicole works at - which would potentially make for an interesting infected zone.

Regular Park (or just 'The Park' if less on-the-nose) is the iconic location from the show. I think it's really important to have another powerhouse like Regular Show present in the city, as otherwise the city feels a little empty compared to the previous areas. While it would delay the player meeting some these characters for a while, putting too much in too early could make the latter part of the game feel less impressive in comparison.

Elmore Shopping (alternative name: Elmore Mall) is where Elmore Mall is located, one of the show's most frequently-visited areas. I hesitated to straight up call it Elmore Mall as I thought the area could potentially also host some of the Regular Show's regular locations - such as the Coffee Shop or Two Peaks Mall as a rival competitor. Elmore Mall is another solid candidate for an indoor infected zone.

Elmore Schools is where Elmore Junior High would be located, as well as many of its students. I actually tried really hard to figure out a way to incorporate the expressway connecting it to the Waterson's neighbourhood as seen in the show, but I couldn't find a way that made sense (duh). This would be a really cool indoor, non-infected zone area to explore.

I took inspiration from the Forbidden Forest in Harry Potter when placing the Forest of Doom, as a sort of spooky dangerous area in the school's backyard. It was also in an effort to avoid having to build more border mountains.

The Natural Science Museum takes its name from We Bare Bears, while also sharing its identity with Elmore Museum (I was tired of having every area be called 'Elmore [something]'). This is another solid choice for an infected zone, wtih suggestions for monsters being the exhibits come to ugly life.

Elmore Medical Centre is Elmore Hospital but again with an attempt at a more interesting name. Elmore Business Quarter is home to office buildings, including Chanax Inc. - I visualise it taking inspiration from Toronto's financial district.

Elmore International is the city's airport. It may be a little remote to be the city's main transport hub; it could also be a solid infected zone. Suggestions for characters include I R Baboon.

Squirty's Misty Mountain Water Park is a nod to Clarence's city, Aberdale. I know basically nothing about it, but I thought it would be fun to have a water park as an area.

Other Regions

I'm not sure whether I will ever attempt adding them to this map, but I'm aware that two major areas that I've missed are Beach City and the colder territory that will include Mount Whitehead. I thought about it a little, and my rough ideas are that Beach City being a small island between Elmore and Bellwood, and the frozen area being found either north of the Wilds (specifically north east of Forgotten Falls), north of the Darklands, or east of Marzipan.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »
Finally replying to replies. Apologies for the ones directed at V1, I promise you I read them but unfortunately wasn't able to respond when they were relevant:

From the way you describe it, it sounds really good. I'd have to see it in action to really give an effective judgment.

cheers dude. that's with everything, ain't it.

I just realized I never responded to this response to my idea. Whoops!

LOVE it. Not much I can say except that it really works quite well. I will admit Iím still not into the idea of the square borders, but after roaming the Darklands a bit more I think thereís a bit more room to work there than I initially thought.
Wonderful work.

Thank you so much.

I'm not quite sure I understand - Genius Grove contains both Dexter and Mandark's homes, whereas Tech Square contains their company headquarters. There isn't really much reason to have them next to each apart from easy commuting I guess?

This is fantastic! Everything here makes so much sense and really does blend together kinda flawlessly!

If I had to make some suggestions, though...

I think the lore you've mentioned involving Tech Square and MIT could be reflected in the features of each area. They're directly across from each other, so some kind of visual connection across the water would be nice, if not some sort of fast travel between the two.

Would there be some sort of barrier between Heroes Square and Genius Grove? I feel like presenting new players with both the Sector V treehouse and Dexter's Lab from the starting gate would lead to a lot of players heading in the wrong direction. Whether that's necessarily a bad thing or if it could be combated by Genius Grove just having higher level Fusion monsters is up for debate, but it's something to consider if you haven't.

Thanks so much. In terms of barriers, being an open world game one thing I've learned to accept is that there really isn't anything stopping players from venturing wherever they want. However, well-written missions can act as a guide to direct players to where appropriate for their level. After that, I guess it's just trial and error for players to learn where they can't handle yet.

Mischiefuse

• IGN: Ultra Torch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I'll be honest that I'm not a huge fan of the expansion you've listen with Marzipan and Elmore. I think they feel too similar to locations that have already been offered and not terribly unique. Certain areas, like Regular Park and Marzipan city would be great additions to the Downtown/Suburbs area, but don't exactly need their own new sets.

I also think that adding those areas behind the Darklands takes away the "final boss" feel of the area. The map sort of progresses in a way that you're culminating and leading into the final location. By adding those two new cities behind the darklands, they remove the illusion that it is the final place you need to be

Retron90

• -Installing Windows Update- IGN: Retron The FusionSlayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
I'll be honest that I'm not a huge fan of the expansion you've listen with Marzipan and Elmore. I think they feel too similar to locations that have already been offered and not terribly unique. Certain areas, like Regular Park and Marzipan city would be great additions to the Downtown/Suburbs area, but don't exactly need their own new sets.

I also think that adding those areas behind the Darklands takes away the "final boss" feel of the area. The map sort of progresses in a way that you're culminating and leading into the final location. By adding those two new cities behind the darklands, they remove the illusion that it is the final place you need to be
That's because it isn't supposed to be the last place you visit. It's been mentioned and talked about for some time that they'll be a story in Legacy that goes past the Darklands. The most we know I believe is that Gumball will be part of it (and even then that could be outdated) which is possibly why Elmore is behind it.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.