Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions of the Animation World  (Read 39936 times)

Fancystopperman

• The galaxy is ours to grasp. Let us reach!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unpopular Opinions of the Animation World
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2019, 05:08:03 PM »
Bump.

Steven Universe is just awful after season 2. Off Model art became noticeable, the non-townie parts of the show were bad and clearly rushed, and Connie just became unlikable and self insertish.

2016 Ben 10 isn't that bad. The art style is just hideous but the show itself isn't really bad. Besides a few things, all of my problems with this show were also present in the original.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:36:42 PM by Fancystopperman »

Poppleworks

• IGN: Mister Poppleworks
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »
2016 Ben 10 isn't that bad. The art style is just hideous but the show itself isn't really bad. Besides a few things, all of my problems with this show were also present in the original.
This.

Tempo

• memcpy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:06 PM »
Idk if this is unpopular but; DBS sucks and should have never existed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:08:12 PM by Tempo »

Fancystopperman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #663 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:26 PM »
Idk if this is unpopular but; DBS sucks and should have never existed.
Last year I would have disagreed but what they did to Broly and Gogeta has me siding with you.

That and the fact that Toyotaro is going to take control of the franchise soon. Now this gives me chills.

Tannhaeuser

• “I don’t want to look—and yet I can’t look away!”
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »
Steven Universe is just awful after Season 2.

I beg to differ.

Steven Universe is just awful, period.

afterthesequel06

• Loves Smash Bros. Doesn't Have Switch
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
All of us have opinions, views and tastes which just aren't held by the public at large. But you need not be scared or ashamed to share them any longer. Here is the thread where you can share those less-than-popular opinions about animation and cartoons without fear of derision or persecution. Just state them here. And no flaming or arguing please; we're all entitled to our views, popular or not.

I'll start:

I find Peanuts to be highly overrated. The strips and specials have their amusing moments, but by and large I find it to be very dull, depressing and even a little mean-spirited now. Nonstop losing, unrequited love and failure gets seriously old after a while.

I like Marvel's Super Hero Squad Show. There, I said it. I don't care how goofy and silly it is, I don't care if hardcore comic book fans consider it to be a blight on Marvel's various franchises, I enjoy the series precisely because it's so goofy and silly. And I love the concept of all of Marvel's characters residing in in single city as a setting. Yes, it's just set up to sell toys, but I still love Superhero City. I love it.

I don't mind or even care that CGI has become the dominant animation style in animated features now. I'm sick of people bemoaning the fact that CGI exists and acting like computer animation is the first sign of Armageddon. I'm also sick of people bad-mouthing Flash animation. CG and Flash are just like everything else: there are good and bad examples of each. I wish folks would learn to judge cartoons by the quality of the art, writing and direction, not solely by how they're animated.

Johnny Test is not the abomination that most people make it out to be. Sure, the show's writing is kind of weak and the stories can get very repetitive at times, but it's an OK concept and some of the characters are at least interesting ideas. JT would actually be a pretty decent show, if they would just get rid of the title character, whom I find to be an annoying, generic twit.

I think I'm starting to seriously dislike 'adult' cartoons now. When did 'adult' come to mean as scatological, trippy, lewd, crude and unfunny as possible? I'm done with all of Seth MacFarlane's shows, and Adult Swim is really starting to rub me the wrong way. The less said about AS's live-action 'comedies', the better.

Avatar: the Last Airbender just bored me. I know a lot of people really loved this show, but I found it to be very dull and slow-moving. I liked the concept of the Benders and I liked Toph, but beyond that A:TLA just never clicked with me.

I've tried and tried, but I just can't get into Adventure Time, and I probably never will. People on Toon Zone especially never stop heaping praise on AT, saying how wonderfully quirky, compelling and deep it is, but at best I find myself scratching my head over it, at the worst it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like how it's so often lacking in form and structure: it tries to be simultaneously a comedy, a stoner show, an action show and a drama, and doesn't succeed at any of them. I kind of like Jake, he has some good lines now and then, although his spotlight episodes tend to be kind of weak. Finn I just can't get into at all, though I've tried. I didn't really like the Fionna and Cake gender-swap episode (though the majority of TZ loved it), but I will say that I probably liked Finn's female counterpart Fionna more in her one appearance than I ever have or will like Finn himself.

Lupin the 3rd is flat-out one of the best anime ever made, and it's seriously deserving of more praise than it's ever received in the US.

Rocko's Modern Life is simply the single best thing Nickelodeon has ever put on the air. Ever. On a semi-related note, there have only been about 3 really good or above average Nicktoons: Rocko, Angry Beavers and KaBlam!, IMHO.

While I don't hate Hanna-Barbera, I've never felt like the works of that studio belong in the same category as the likes of Warner Bros and MGM, or even Jay Ward. It's not the limited animation, their shows, characters and humor have never really gelled with me for whatever reason. Even H-B's most major productions like The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound were just 'meh' at best to me.

I find the unabashed love, praise and adulation for Cartoon Network's Toonami block to be annoying and a little shallow and sad. I enjoyed the block too back in the day when it was good, but the way some people hype this show to the sky and act like it was the single greatest achievement in human history is just ridiculous. As if these shows were somehow made 100 times better just because they were surrounded by bumpers of a robot talking with the voice of Steven Jay Blum. I honestly like the Miguzi bumpers more.
I respect all of your opinions and hope you stick with them, but I'll respond.
1. Eric Andre is one of THE funniest shows ever seen and there's nothing you can say to change my opinion on that.
2. I also don't think Toonami is the single greatest achievement in human history, but it is probably one of the biggest steps in popularizing anime to the western audience. It made so many popular animes convenient and fun to watch stateside all with memorable and likable host. 

Now for my own unpopular opinions

1. I really don't mind Unikitty. I'm hesitant to call it a "good" show, but has its moments and Richard makes it worth watching IMO.
2. I don't get all the hate behind Misadventures of Flapjack. It can get a little gross at times, but Its pretty funny. Far from favorite show, but not a bad watch.
3. Over The Garden Wall is alright at best. The animation is pretty good, especially for a T.V show. Beyond that I never found Wirt or Greg that interesting as characters (Beatrice was awesome though). The world looked creative, but we see so little of it that I don't get engaged. The Beast was pretty average villain. Creepy for sure, but not breaking any top 10 list.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:13:02 PM by afterthesequel06 »

mewmic

• Have you any dangerously sequined hot pants?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: February 28, 2019, 04:06:31 AM »
I think the Ben 10 reboot is just okay. I have to admit I'm attached to a couple characters from it though.

awesomealan1

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 01, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »
All anime (With one exception: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood) is trash. Deal with it.

SU, and 90% of newer CN shows are SJW garb.

I'd say the original Ben 10 is peak Cartoon Network, after that the network fell hard.

AgentEggplants

• Formerly Metashadow555
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: March 01, 2019, 09:45:45 PM »
All anime (With one exception: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood) is trash. Deal with it.

SU, and 90% of newer CN shows are SJW garb.

I'd say the original Ben 10 is peak Cartoon Network, after that the network fell hard.
Bad taste alert

wolfywolf12

• "Radda, Radda, Radda" Shnitzel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 02, 2019, 02:09:29 AM »
Ok here goes.

*yells at top of lungs* Alien force is actually pretty good.

*prepares to be flamed for following post* Steven universe is overrated.

*prepares to be seriously flamed for the following post* Clarence is actually really good.

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #670 on: March 02, 2019, 12:19:22 PM »
Steven Universe is overrated.

I know quite a few people, including myself, who agree with you.

dusky

• wutwut wut wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 02, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
I feel that Young Justice Season 3 hasn't been as satisfying to watch as it's been praised to be.

The first thing I've been unsure about is the tone. I'm glad that the team has gained full freedom about what they want to portray, but I do think that watching the first two seasons built up certain expectations of what is explicit and what is left to the imagination, so suddenly removing all censorship was a bit jarring. The other thing I've been back and forth about is another time-skip coming hand-in-hand with another team expansion. The Outsiders story has been interesting but ultimately, I think it came too soon. I don't think the characters introduced at the end of S2 had had enough focus on them to become attached to them, so it resulted in their (mostly action) scenes in S3 being cool but ultimately not meaningful. I would have preferred a slower, quieter first half that dealt with the immediate aftermath of S2 that showed those characters settling in before starting the Outsiders story line.

I'm not a big fan of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated's character design.

Fancystopperman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:24 PM »
I feel like Chowder aged poorly. Most of the characters are great, Chowder is just really really bad. He's like a Billy without a Mandy.

I still miss Ultimate Spiderman.

Wreck it Ralph 2 was awful. I don't know what Disney was thinking or why they keep making terrible cash grab sequels and terrible live action adaptions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:57:41 PM by Fancystopperman »

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: March 02, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated's character design.

Neither was I. I suppose the squared off character design was meant to illustrate that the show was literally edgier than earlier versions, but, to be candid, it seems merely dated now; even the original 1969 models seem to have aged better. (I think the ones I find most satisfactory are the ones for What's New, Scooby-Doo?)

Fancystopperman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: March 05, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
Besides Teen Titans Go, The Amazing World of Gumball, and We bare Bears, the rest of the CN shows and a few of the upcoming ones are just...bad. Bad and boring. They're trying to capture the feel of Steven Universe and Adventure Time and it ends up failing. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just two or three shows doing it but counting the upcoming ones there's six of them. TAWoG is getting cancelled soon and TTG is on its death bed so it's going to be the entire lineup if things don't change. When it comes to art direction and even comedy each of them gets worse than the last.  On the bright side, I heard Miller got promoted. Hopefully she gets replaced by someone that promotes variety.

I have to say it, I don't even care if it's unpopular or not. This new art style most new CN shows have; the bean mouth, the noodle arms, those bland and soulless black eyes, It's terrible. Just like I said before, it would be fine if it was just 2 or three shows doing it but aside from TTG it's the entire lineup.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:49:02 PM by Fancystopperman »

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.