Author Topic: What's the point of quality of life updates if they're overdue?  (Read 464 times)

tyleroaks

• View Profile
    • Email
I believe this is a very fair question. It is very much like "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted".

For example, the invisible walls around Leakey Lake and Acorn Flats, that force you to walk around, instead of going right through it and into Pimpleback mountains. Only veterans would know that, and they're veterans for a reason.

I have 4 lvl 36 characters. I can't find a reason to replay the game again to benefit from that shortcut, and the potential bug fixes they're about to change. How about the General TSO waypoint in the Catacombs? These are some of the many inconveniences that should have been fixed before the game was put out. Unless, of course, they're "hard coded".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:23:52 AM by tyleroaks »

InfinitePossibilities

• YouTuber, Universal Guide Editor
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
Re: What's the point of quality of life updates if they're overdue?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:24:27 AM »
Yeah, that's a valid complaint.

The community has been complaining about infected zone racing and emails since the launch of the Future of last year. These are features that should have been included from the very beginning. At least, we have these two features now, and racing is better than ever with 100+ brand new items.

In time, the devs will address these quality of life issues and other features that the community heavily wants. For myself, I really want to a grindable ultra rare level 36 thrown, pistol, and shattergun. We have to be vocal about it. The devs are reading our comments on the forums and elsewhere such as on Discord.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »
By that logic, what's the point of updating the game at all? In an ideal world, yes, we would have launched with every feature, ever bug fix, every QoL change, every content update, etc. under our belt. I guess it's important to realize that there are players other than yourself, and many players that aren't yet max level.

Another thing to note is that the "level" of what we're able to do has been changing over time and as we update the game. For example, we originally couldn't edit the game at all, dead stop. Then we figured out we could add in some of the removed Future missions. Then we were able to tinker and get a custom vendor set up for the Past's release. By Halloween we were able to backport items, NPCs, and even import custom textures. By Knishmas we were using custom textures in the world, and by Valentine's Day we had fully ported world objects from later builds. By this Summer, we were able to do custom NPCs, and as of the latest update, we can even do custom items.

What the game is has been shaped directly by what we're able to do with it. There's no sense in being a little late to the party with some of these changes, even if some higher level players don't have a reason to experience them.

StevieB219

•  
    Community Manager

• If you read this you're a moose now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
I for one find the updates very enjoyable and they give me reason to keep playing the game even after reaching max level.

BeauBauer

• Original FF Beta tester. Yep, I'm that old. UGH!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
I for one find the updates very enjoyable and they give me reason to keep playing the game even after reaching max level.
I agree Stevie. I also look forward to experiencing the new updates. Since we can make up to 4 characters, I keep two of them at max level for collecting rare and ultra-rare items with. The other two spaces I keep open to play the game with and help those in need with.

admiralflashdodger

• Writer, Adventurer and Omnitrix Wielder
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
I hit max level around mid January and if it weren't for the updates introducing new elements, I likely wouldn't play the game much if at all. Besides it's like they say, better late than never. At least the game is getting improved.

Dogon McBanana

•  
    Game Master

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Just to add on a bit to what Devan said, if people wanted ALL of the quality of life changes and various other errors leftover from the original game fixed before we released the game in any capacity, Retro probably wouldn't be playable by the public for another few years at least. We still get tons of new players daily who get to enjoy the new content and quality of life changes as if they were part of the original experience.

As a reminder, we're doing this for free and on our own time, and considering Retro is built upon the original release of FusionFall, I think it's fair to expect the original game's flaws and oversights to come packaged with it on initial release.

InfinitePossibilities

• YouTuber, Universal Guide Editor
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 12:09:30 AM »
Just to add on a bit to what Devan said, if people wanted ALL of the quality of life changes and various other errors leftover from the original game fixed before we released the game in any capacity, Retro probably wouldn't be playable by the public for another few years at least. We still get tons of new players daily who get to enjoy the new content and quality of life changes as if they were part of the original experience.

As a reminder, we're doing this for free and on our own time, and considering Retro is built upon the original release of FusionFall, I think it's fair to expect the original game's flaws and oversights to come packaged with it on initial release.

I'll add on as well.

If they actually do that and add every suggestion, how long do you think people will consume all of this content? We live in a different society compared to 10 years ago. We are consuming content at a much faster rate. Games such as Read Dead Redemption 2 where there are literally hundreds of hours of content are consumed by society for a month or two and it's on to the next game to talk about.

It would be a good idea to have periodic updates, so we can have something to look forward to than to have everything released at once.

tyleroaks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »

I didn't say the updates are not enjoyable. My complaint is that we needed more frequent, as per my title, QoL updates. The content updates are fine.

BlitheHatter

• IGN Jackson Blythe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »

I didn't say the updates are not enjoyable. My complaint is that we needed more frequent, as per my title, QoL updates. The content updates are fine.

They're going as fast as they can. Like it was said before, they do this on their spare time without any sort of monetary retribution. People who join the game tomorrow will receive the full benefit of these quality of life updates more than us veterans, but that's true for almost any MMO out there. Things change for the better overtime, that's the point.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.