Author Topic: Is it possible to make Add-Ons, and how to do it?  (Read 432 times)

klawsin

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it possible to make Add-Ons, and how to do it?
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
I am just wondering if it was possible to do.

There are several ideas I have for quality of life changes that could be made as an add-on. These aren't mods or anything that would change any part of the game or cosmetics, just UI stuff mostly. Think about add-ons for WoW. Better quest tracking or adding onto the map where you have quests available sort of thing.

I looked up guides ok how to make Add-Ons for WoW, hoping I could translate over to FusionFall, however it seems like WoW has a system in place to allow them, and uses it's own scripts.

Would it be possible to do here still? I do have programming experience and knowledge so that's not an issue, just need to understand how to get started.

Ruth

• ℱancy Unicode doesn't make you special.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make Add-Ons, and how to do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 06:39:34 PM »
I don't think that third-party programs are allowed on FusionFall. The Mission Tracker Document and Universal Item Guide are sufficient.

klawsin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
I don't think that third-party programs are allowed on FusionFall. The Mission Tracker Document and Universal Item Guide are sufficient.

Thanks for the links, I've been using the mission tracker document myself.
But we would not advance at all if we just said things are sufficient. One could argue that the 750 class vehicles were sufficient, that the scampers were sufficient before the woosh operators. Yeah, sufficient is fine and all, but wouldn't it be nice to cut out the middle man of having to go to an outside document, checking off all the boxes starting up, and then have to return to check a box everytime you complete a mission, and just having another tab in game that says "available missions" of every mission you have left to do within your level range?
I think it'd be nice.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »

Thanks for the links, I've been using the mission tracker document myself.
But we would not advance at all if we just said things are sufficient. One could argue that the 750 class vehicles were sufficient, that the scampers were sufficient before the woosh operators. Yeah, sufficient is fine and all, but wouldn't it be nice to cut out the middle man of having to go to an outside document, checking off all the boxes starting up, and then have to return to check a box everytime you complete a mission, and just having another tab in game that says "available missions" of every mission you have left to do within your level range?
I think it'd be nice.

If we had the actual project files for the game things like this would be trivial. Unfortunately, we're working with a game that's compiled with old code on an outdated and proprietary version of Unity, which makes adding otherwise simple stuff like this not so easy.

Slavin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
At this point I feel like it would have been less work for you to try and debug the post academy updates rather than dealing with this mess, but hey what do I know could be you have the exact same problem or something.

StevieB219

•  
    Community Manager

• If you read this you're a moose now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
At this point I feel like it would have been less work for you to try and debug the post academy updates rather than dealing with this mess, but hey what do I know could be you have the exact same problem or something.
All versions of FusionFall ran the same proprietary unity version so it would have been just as challenging.

klawsin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 04:56:56 AM »

If we had the actual project files for the game things like this would be trivial. Unfortunately, we're working with a game that's compiled with old code on an outdated and proprietary version of Unity, which makes adding otherwise simple stuff like this not so easy.

Darn, alright, thanks anyway!

Sylve

• I'm not much I'm just Sylve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
All versions of FusionFall ran the same proprietary unity version so it would have been just as challenging.
Plus I think I remember someone (I think Devan) saying the post academy builds are extra buggy.

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
Plus I think I remember someone (I think Devan) saying the post academy builds are extra buggy.

Funny enough we checked out the final build a couple weeks ago to see if there was anything wanted to salvage/take a look at and man, performance took a hit on everyone's end. I don't know why Academy+ builds are just worse in regards to framerate and the like. My only guess is poor implementation of new content and stuff.

critical_unknown

• Fixed with a wave of the dev's magic jazz hands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 07:25:45 PM »

Funny enough we checked out the final build a couple weeks ago to see if there was anything wanted to salvage/take a look at and man, performance took a hit on everyone's end. I don't know why Academy+ builds are just worse in regards to framerate and the like. My only guess is poor implementation of new content and stuff.

Do you think anything could be done to fix that stuff, or is it completely busted?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:32:30 PM by critical_unknown »

Devan

•  
    Game Master

• Witty personal text
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
Do you think anything could be done to fix that stuff, or is it completely busted?

There really isn't any reason to. None of our content would be compatible with that build. If we wanted to use features from later builds or content, the better option would be to backport those specific things. That would allow us to keep our tweaked build and content.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.