Author Topic: Calling Cat-22  (Read 6157 times)

Tannhaeuser

• “I don’t want to look—and yet I can’t look away!”
    • View Profile
    • Email
Calling Cat-22
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »

Guthrie, Percy, and Cat-22

Okay, as many of you old-timers know, a long time ago I suggested Cat-22 as a possible NPC for Legacy. For those who are not familiar with the character, Cat-22 (or “22” for short) is the protagonist of one of the Wedgies series; he is an ill-fated undercover agent for an organization of cats which seeks to uncover the secrets of the world of dogs. In the course of his investigations, he is usually mangled and invariably humiliated. You can find all of his five adventures (“Hydrant,” “Bones,” “Flying Discs,” “Stink,” and “Sniff”) on YouTube.

Now, oddly enough, although the use of the different Wedgies series was deconfirmed on the old site, there was a certain ambiguity about Calling Cat-22. It was as if the DevTeam refused either to confirm or to deconfirm 22’s appearance in the game. The most that I can recall being said about it was “Oy… Cat-22” by one of the DevTeam, which, though not particularly enthusiastic, is not technically a deconfirmation, either. Several times people tried to pin down the DevTeam as to whether 22 was or was not a possibility for the game—but all in vain.

The case in favor of using 22 is that he is a really funny character, especially if one enjoys a certain amount of dark, absurdist humor. Poor 22 does his best, but always ends up being mauled, if not by the idiotic dogs he is spying on, then by the insane cats who attempt to rescue him. He has a rather interesting character design, a parody of the old “men in black” sort of spies found in so many Sixties movies, something like Rod Serling with pointy ears, whiskers, and a tail: a design that could easily be adapted to the FusionFall style. The music is very good, and would be, I think, very suggestive if allowed to work its way into the background score of FusionFall Legacy A secret agent like 22, of course, would serve as a great hook for missions involving finding things and solving mysteries. What’s more, the series itself is just very funny—the voice acting in particular is excellent―and would offer many opportunities for just the kind of humor that FusionFall itself abounded in.

And that is not entirely an accident. It just so happens that the creator of Calling Cat-22 was Matthew Schwartz, and Matt Schwartz was the Content Designer of a little game I like to call Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall. Oh, and besides determining what sorts of game elements and plot elements would appear in FusionFall, Matt Schwartz, along with George Krstic (the co-creator of Megas XLR) was the co-author of Worlds Collide, AKA “the original FusionFall manga.” That would seem to indicate that Cat-22 would be a natural for the world of FusionFall Legacy.

The case against using 22 is mainly one of sheer difficulty. I have no doubt that the clever authors on the DevTeam could fit him into the story, and that Virt’s Cat-22 art would be a delight to the eyes. As a matter of fact, Virt’s art would be considerably better than the original cartoon, which (it must be admitted), is not exactly the best animated or designed; I praised 22’s design above, but that is really more in terms of the idea of it—the drawing (?) itself is rather crude, like kindergarten paper cut-outs, and the flash animation appears sadly amateurish. The plots of all five episodes are almost identical (though the jokes along the way are extremely amusing. Indeed, the few reviews I have seen of the show have been almost savagely negative (rather unfairly, I think).

From a practical standpoint, I have no idea how the Team would reproduce the voice acting, since there are no more than twelve minutes of the cartoon altogether and I cannot imagine how one would edit its content to be of any use in the game. I for one have been completely unable to identify even the voice-actor who performs the part of 22 (though I have found the actors for two of the supporting rôles). As far as I can tell, Matt Schwartz no longer works for Cartoon Network.

All things considered, though I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see Cat-22 included in the game, I don’t quite see how it can be managed.  Still, it would be a very nice gesture, and a springboard for a lot of fun and funny adventures if it could be managed. And really, I have come to suspect that there is very little that the DevTeam can’t accomplish if they set their collective wits to it.

So — yes, please support Cat-22 for inclusion in FusionFall Legacy.  Doesn’t the poor schlub deserve some recognition after all he’s gone through?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:07:36 AM by Tannhaeuser »

Bellaboo

• Reaper's refrigerator
    • View Profile
    • Cooking with Reaper
    • Email
Re: Calling Cat-22
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
I don't think the dev team can use bommerang programs.Ive seen references to other bommerang shows on pillars in the original fusionfall.But im not sure if they were even allowed to use them.

AgentEggplants

• Formerly Metashadow555
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »
I don't think the dev team can use bommerang programs.Ive seen references to other bommerang shows on pillars in the original fusionfall.But im not sure if they were even allowed to use them.

I'm pretty sure things originating in boomerang were produced by cartoon network, while the hanna-barbra shows were not.

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
I don't think the Dev Team can use Boomerang programs. I've seen references to other Boomerang shows on pillars in the original FusionFall, but I'm not sure if they were even allowed to use them.

In the strictest legal sense, the team aren't allowed to use any content they themselves have not devised unless they have received permission from the copyright holders, except small bits for purposes of review, parody, etc.  However, Cartoon Network is not particularly punctilious about enforcing its copyrights.  Boomerang, however, is NOT generally a network which produces original content: it reshows content that has already appeared on Cartoon Network, particularly availing itself of Warner Bros. ownership of the Turner film library and therefore the Hanna-Barbera animation library. (The lines of ownership among MGM, Warners, and Hanna-Barbera animation are astonishingly fluid; one never is exactly sure which company owns which variation of which property.  For instance, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! is owned by Hanna-Barbera as a holding company for Turner Communications, but Scooby-Doo! Mystery, Incorporated is owned by Warner Brothers, though licensed from Hanna-Barbera.)  However, generally speaking, everything that appears on Boomerang has either been produced by or is licensed to Cartoon Network.  If it's on Boomerang, there's a good chance that it will be available to be used in FusionFall Legacy.

Anyway, as you can see by the logo in the corner of the picture, Calling Cat-22 first appeared on Cartoon Network, and, as a matter of fact, was produced for Cartoon Network Studios by an outside production company.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:15:57 AM by Tannhaeuser »

iamZeus

• "Shake it like jello, I'll say hello"
    • View Profile
    • Forever Fusion
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure things originating in boomerang were produced by cartoon network, while the hanna-barbra shows were not.
Several Boomerang cartoons appeared as Easter eggs in the original Fusionfall.

Hammerman68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »

Okay, as many of you old-timers know, a long time ago I suggested Cat-22 as a possible NPC for Legacy. For those who are not familiar with the character, Cat-22 (or “22” for short) is the protagonist of one of the Wedgies series; he is an ill-fated undercover agent for an organization of cats which seeks to uncover the secrets of the world of dogs. In the course of his investigations, he is usually mangled and invariably humiliated. You can find all of his five adventures (“Hydrant,” “Bones,” “Flying Discs,” “Stink,” and “Sniff”)

Now, oddly enough, although the use of the different Wedgies series was deconfirmed on the old site, there was a certain ambiguity about Calling Cat-22. It was as if the DevTeam refused either to confirm or to deconfirm 22’s appearance in the game. The most that I can recall being said about it was “Oy… Cat-22” by one of the DevTeam, which, though not particularly enthusiastic, is not technically a deconfirmation, either. Several times people tried to pin down the DevTeam as to whether 22 was or was not a possibility for the game—but all in vain.

The case in favor of using 22 is that he is a really funny character, especially if one enjoys a certain amount of dark, absurdist humor. Poor 22 does his best, but always ends up being mauled, if not by the idiotic dogs he is spying on, then by the insane cats who attempt to rescue him. He has a rather interesting character design, a parody of the old “men in black” sort of spies found in so many Sixties movies, something like Rod Serling with pointy ears, whiskers, and a tail: a design that could easily be adapted to the FusionFall style. The music is very good, and would be, I think, very suggestive if allowed to work its way into the background score of FusionFall Legacy A secret agent like 22, of course, would serve as a great hook for missions involving finding things and solving mysteries. What’s more, the series itself is just very funny—the voice acting in particular is excellent―and would offer many opportunities for just the kind of humor that [/i]FusionFall[/i] itself abounded in.

And that is not entirely an accident. It just so happens that the creator of Calling Cat-22 was Matthew Schwartz, and Matt Schwarz was the Content Designer of a little game I like to call Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall. Oh, and besides determining what sorts of game elements and plot elements would appear in FusionFall, Matt Schwartz, along with George Krstic (the co-creator of Megas XLR) was the co-author of Worlds Collide, AKA “the original FusionFall manga.” That would seem to indicate that Cat-22 would be a natural for the world of FusionFall Legacy.

The case against using 22 is mainly one of sheer difficulty. I have no doubt that the clever authors on the DevTeam could fit him into the story, and that Virt’s Cat-22 art would be a delight to the eyes. As a matter of fact, Virt’s art would be considerably better than the original cartoon, which (it must be admitted), is not exactly the best animated or designed; I praised 22’s design above, but that is really more in terms of the idea of it—the drawing (?) itself is rather crude, like kindergarten paper cut-outs, and the flash animation appears sadly amateurish. The plots of all five episodes are almost identical (though the jokes along the way are extremely amusing. Indeed, the few reviews I have seen of the show have been almost savagely negative (rather unfairly, I think).

From a practical standpoint, I have no idea how the Team would reproduce the voice acting, since there is no more than twelve minutes of the cartoon altogether and I cannot imagine how one would edit its content to be of any use in the game. I for one have been completely unable to identify even the voice-actor who performs the part of 22 (though I have found the actors for two of the supporting rôles). As far as I can tell, Matt Schwartz no longer works for Cartoon Network.

All things considered, though I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see Cat-22 included in the game, I don’t quite see how it can be managed.  Still, it would be a very nice gesture, and a springboard for a lot of fun and funny adventures if it could be managed. And really, I have come to suspect that there is very little that the DevTeam can’t accomplish if they set their collective wits to it.

So — yes, please support Cat-22 for inclusion in FusionFall Legacy.  Doesn’t the poor schlub deserve some recognition after all he’s gone through?

His missions can have the player investigate dogs such as dukey, courage, etc. to win them over so they can tell their "dog secrets to u"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:42:31 PM by Hammerman68 »

iamZeus

• View Profile
    • Forever Fusion
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 10:28:56 PM »

Okay, as many of you old-timers know, a long time ago I suggested Cat-22 as a possible NPC for Legacy. For those who are not familiar with the character, Cat-22 (or “22” for short) is the protagonist of one of the Wedgies series; he is an ill-fated undercover agent for an organization of cats which seeks to uncover the secrets of the world of dogs. In the course of his investigations, he is usually mangled and invariably humiliated. You can find all of his five adventures (“Hydrant,” “Bones,” “Flying Discs,” “Stink,” and “Sniff”)

The case in favor of using 22 is that he is a really funny character, especially if one enjoys a certain amount of dark, absurdist humor. Poor 22 does his best, but always ends up being mauled, if not by the idiotic dogs he is spying on, then by the insane cats who attempt to rescue him. He has a rather interesting character design, a parody of the old “men in black” sort of spies found in so many Sixties movies, something like Rod Serling with pointy ears, whiskers, and a tail: a design that could easily be adapted to the FusionFall style. The music is very good, and would be, I think, very suggestive if allowed to work its way into the background score of FusionFall Legacy A secret agent like 22, of course, would serve as a great hook for missions involving finding things and solving mysteries. What’s more, the series itself is just very funny—the voice acting in particular is excellent―and would offer many opportunities for just the kind of humor that [/i]FusionFall[/i] itself abounded in.

And that is not entirely an accident. It just so happens that the creator of Calling Cat-22 was Matthew Schwartz, and Matt Schwarz was the Content Designer of a little game I like to call Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall. Oh, and besides determining what sorts of game elements and plot elements would appear in FusionFall, Matt Schwartz, along with George Krstic (the co-creator of Megas XLR) was the co-author of Worlds Collide, AKA “the original FusionFall manga.” That would seem to indicate that Cat-22 would be a natural for the world of FusionFall Legacy.

From a practical standpoint, I have no idea how the Team would reproduce the voice acting, since there is no more than twelve minutes of the cartoon altogether and I cannot imagine how one would edit its content to be of any use in the game. I for one have been completely unable to identify even the voice-actor who performs the part of 22 (though I have found the actors for two of the supporting rôles). As far as I can tell, Matt Schwartz no longer works for Cartoon Network.

His missions can have the player investigate dogs such as dukey, courage, etc. to win them over so they can tell their "dog secrets to u"
I don't think dukey is in the game.

AgentEggplants

• Formerly Metashadow555
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »

I don't think dukey is in the game.

He is

BanditoSigi

• A Dandy Guy In Space. Has returned 8/3/17.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
If were getting on at with this "No Line"-esc Cat Theme, We should get Kitty Bobo from his classic pilot

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 12:29:29 AM »
I hope at the very least that PCs will be able to sport the classic Calling Cat-22 dog-eared beanie, allowing the wearer to "hide out from dogs right in front of their eyes" (not really):

I think this guy has one that's a size too small for him.

Quick, 22, put it on before that Cyberus notices you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:53:15 AM by Tannhaeuser »

iamZeus

• View Profile
    • Forever Fusion
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 04:48:56 AM »
Those last 2 pictures make me want it now.

GrizzilyCowboy64

• I follow Atua. Side Note: Meat on the Bone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:59 AM »
I hope at the very least that PCs will be able to sport the classic Calling Cat-22 dog-eared beanie, allowing the wearer to "hide out from dogs right in front of their eyes" (not really):

I'd wear it, You've won me over yet again, Tannhaeuser.

SoulEater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 05:33:19 AM »
I'd Definitely wear it.

TheFVguy

• Life sucks, but you gotta live with it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
Support all the way man! +1! I am all for Cat-22 being in FFL!

The_Algeabraic_Finn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
What if there's a mission called Rainbow Jelly
Cat-22 hears of a mysterious dog that seemed to go undercover at one point, and now he wants to find out who this mysterious undercover dog is. There seems to be clues around the area.

Leave to spot and find rainbow jelly paint can, Cat-22; "That fiend, hiding in Rainbow jelly we'll find you."

Leave to another spot, and find a cone with string. Cat-22; "He must of worn that on his head, how clever."

Kill a few fusions around area to get to clue. Cat-22; "I got it, go to this location, then we'll find our dog."

Go to spot and find Jake. Jake; "Undercover dog, what's that crazy cat talking about, I dressed up like a Rainicorn once to impress Lady's parents, go back and tell him I'm not a threat."

Go back to Cat-22. Cat-22; "Well I guess I was wrong, at least this didn't end with a beating, take this for your troubles."

Get reward.

I never watched the show, I just thought this would be a funny premise, you can probably fix it Tan.

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.