Author Topic: Calling Cat-22  (Read 7346 times)

TheFVguy

• Life sucks, but you gotta live with it
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling Cat-22
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »
A tiger wolf is kinda half cat and half dog. Maybe that acknowledgement should be included in the mission? Blaming the dogs for turning themselves into tiger wolves just doesn't sound right. Since the cats in the wedgie were ignorant... maybe the plot can revolve around the cats' believing that dogs are trying to take over their species? If they can find a Frisbee as suspicious and dangerous, I can't not see them coming up with something this ridiculous -- dogs turning felines into one of their own.

I never saw the cats in Calling Cat-22 as being ignorant so much as delusional; after all, Gato Primo and Andrew had to be flat out bonkers to believe that 22 was some kind of gung-ho super-spy when he failed at every single mission and obviously loathed his job.

The problem I have with the "dogs turning themselves into cats" idea is that it applies ONLY to the Tiger Wolves, and not to any other monster in the game.  I suppose you could reverse it, and make it "dogs turning every animal into dogs" -- at which point you could say the various arachnids are spiders being turned into dogs, and Cyberuses (Cyberi?) are robots being turned into dogs, and Cavern Wolves are somethings that were somethings else that have been thoroughly turned into dogs.  Still, that seems to be an awfully complicated idea to be expressed in just one or two lines of dialogue.

To be candid, I probably wouldn't have chosen the Tiger Wolves at all if I hadn't, as a low joke, made Cat-22 a level 13 Nano (13, because of how miserably unlucky he is, get it? ha ha ha).  The Tiger Wolves and the Pack Arachnids were the only reasonably canine monsters near that level, so I stuck 22 in the general area of Prickly Pines/Camp Kidney. I changed his exact location to Mt. Blackhead just to include the timed Gooby Trap mission (since he does get blown up by a briefcase in every episode), though I would MUCH have preferred to put him someplace that needed more characters. I considered Acorn Flats, but if 22 was a Level 13 Nano, it seemed unreasonable to surround him with Level 16 monsters.

It might be simpler to 1) simply change 22's level, and put him in an area with more purely canine monsters, 2) create some Fusion dog-monsters ad hoc, or 3) do both.  Maybe instead of Mount Blackhead, I could stick him in the KND Jungle Training Area?

At any rate, I know that I am not the best at plotting, so I would welcome suggestions.  I do hope people enjoyed the dialogue, though; I think the main point of a Cat-22 mission would be to be FUNNY, which I hope mine was.
Well, you tired to be funny, I'll give you that

Tannhaeuser

• “I don’t want to look—and yet I can’t look away!”
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
I'm on the fence about Cat-22.

I'd love to hear your reasons, L0rd.  To tell the truth, I am beginning to have my doubts, too ― possibly due to a secret desire to keep my shtik to myself, and to keep other people from doing him differently than I would, and also out of sheer contrarianism, now that he seems to be getting popular.

Still, I hate to think of 22 getting less notice than the Wall of Flesh from Adventure Time...OR Stanley the Watermelon.

Hammerman68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
I'm on the fence about Cat-22.

I'd love to hear your reasons, L0rd.  To tell the truth, I am beginning to have my doubts, too ― possibly due to a secret desire to keep my shtik to myself, and to keep other people from doing him differently than I would, and also out of sheer contrarianism, now that he seems to be getting popular.

Still, I hate to think of 22 getting less notice than the Wall of Flesh from Adventure Time...OR Stanley the Watermelon.

If we stand together we can get 22 in the game

Maybe add a poll?

Cryoprime

• "He just dropped C-4 in my mouth and left!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
I think coming up with a proper role would be more effective than a poll. If you still want to have a poll, try it after we come up with a good role.

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »
If we stand together, we can get 22 in the game.

Maybe add a poll?

I think coming up with a proper role would be more effective than a poll. If you still want to have a poll, try it after we come up with a good role.

Yeah, I absolutely don’t want the least hint of trying to put pressure on the DevTeam to include 22. What I’d love is for them to see what we do with him (and also, of course, the original Wedgies) and be inspired with the creative possibilities. It would be great to see Calling Cat-22/FusionFall artwork, fiction, mission ideas, and all kinds of creation.

TheFVguy

• Life sucks, but you gotta live with it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »
If we stand together, we can get 22 in the game.

Maybe add a poll?

Yeah, I absolutely don’t want the least hint of trying to put pressure on the DevTeam to include 22. What I’d love is for them to see what we do with him (and also, of course, the original Wedgies) and be inspired with the creative possibilities. It would be great to see Calling Cat-22/FusionFall artwork, fiction, mission ideas, and all kinds of creation.
I most certainly agree, I want for example Over The Garden Wall for FFL, yet I don't want act like a child and beg for them to include the show. I prefer for them to see the show themselves so they can its potential

Lohaengrinn

• "I'm not lazy I just don't like making profits."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
Calling Cat-22! is a series of shorts starring a secret agent feline who reluctantly goes undercover to study the
hidden lives of dogs. It was produced in 2007 for Cartoon Network's "Wedgies" project, in conjunction with
Turner Studios. You can still catch it on the air occasionally, even today. Writer/creator: Matthew Schwartz.

Image Caption: Calling Cat-22 promotional image

Sample Episode: "Bones"

Image Caption: Character Concept Art

Note: I contacted the content designer in person on his "Adobe Behance" and tell me in private message that FusionFall Legacy looks like a cool project and he will be delighted to play when it could accessible to the general public. It's the same one who gave me this image that you can see in the screen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:03:38 PM by Lohaengrinn »

Hammerman68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
His missions can involve gathering info on dukey and courage and try to gain their trust so they tell him their dog secrets

He can also try to recruit gumball in some missions

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
Calling Cat-22! is a series of shorts starring a secret agent feline who reluctantly goes undercover to study the hidden lives of dogs. It was produced in 2007 for Cartoon Network's "Wedgies" project, in conjunction with Turner Studios. You can still catch it on the air occasionally, even today. Writer/creator: Matthew Schwartz.

Note: I contacted the content designer in person on his "Adobe Behance" and tell me in private message that FusionFall Legacy looks like a cool project and he will be delighted to play when it could accessible to the general public. It's the same one who gave me this image that you can see in the screen.

That's very cool, Lohaengrinn.  You should ask him for us (or at least for me, since it has been driving me buggy) who the voice actors were who played Percy, Andrew, and most especially our friend 22 (I know Gato Primo was played by Garrett Fisher and Guthrie by David Markus).

I had seen pretty much all of those pictures before, most of which are on the Calling Cat-22 Facebook page.  There's also this one, which was Matt Schwartz's earlier depiction of the Cat-22 gang:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

His missions can involve gathering info on Dukey and Courage and trying to gain their trust so they tell him their dog secrets.

He can also try to recruit Gumball in some missions.

I'd love to see someone (besides me) write up those ideas!  In the original Calling Cat-22 shorts, while the cats are all delusional, the dogs are all about as bright as a mummified firefly.  I kind of think that maybe a more fun dynamic for the dogs would be something like this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:08:46 AM by Tannhaeuser »

Cryoprime

• "He just dropped C-4 in my mouth and left!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »
His missions can involve gathering info on dukey and courage and try to gain their trust so they tell him their dog secrets

He can also try to recruit gumball in some missions
Haha Dukey and Courage are definitely too small to fall for Cat-22's disguise.

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »
I regret to say that our friend Lohaengrinn has discovered some sad news, that may just tip the balance against our seeing the long-suffering Cat-22 in FusionFall Legacy:

…I’m disappointed to tell you that Cat-22 can’t be in the FusionFall universe. This is because Matthew Schwartz [the creator of Cat-22] told me that Cat-22 belongs not to him and not to Cartoon Network, but to the Wedgies project. The Wedgies project had a name, which he didn’t remember; the Wedgies project doesn’t exist anymore, so Calling Cat-22 belongs to nobody… sadly.

The production company that actually made the Calling Cat-22 shorts was apparently the Atlanta-based Turner Studios. It did a lot of work for CN and for Turner South, so it seems likely that it was a division of Turner Broadcasting, although it seems to be defunct now.

Of course, as the DevTeam has stated before, legal considerations are NOT a determining factor as to whether a show will be referenced or not in the game, but I felt it would only be candid to bring this information, for what it is worth, to the team’s attention.

L0rd

•  
    Community Team

• Forum Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
I regret to say that our friend Lohaengrinn has discovered some sad news, that may just tip the balance against our seeing the long-suffering Cat-22 in FusionFall Legacy:

…I’m disappointed to tell you that Cat-22 can’t be in the FusionFall universe. This is because Matthew Schwartz [the creator of Cat-22] told me that Cat-22 belongs not to him and not to Cartoon Network, but to the Wedgies project. The Wedgies project had a name, which he didn’t remember; the Wedgies project doesn’t exist anymore, so Calling Cat-22 belongs to nobody… sadly.

The production company that actually made the Calling Cat-22 shorts was apparently the Atlanta-based Turner Studios. It did a lot of work for CN and for Turner South, so it seems likely that it was a division of Turner Broadcasting, although it seems to be defunct now.

Of course, as the DevTeam has stated before, legal considerations are NOT a determining factor as to whether a show will be referenced or not in the game, but I felt it would only be candid to bring this information, for what it is worth, to the team’s attention.
I mean, if the studio is currently defunct that could give a little extra light to a Cat-22 appearance despite the unlikeliness of it. 

What I meant by on the fence before, I meant in a way that if he was added I wouldn't mind at all and would be happy with his inclusion, but if he is never going to be added, I can understand why not.

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »

I mean, if the studio is currently defunct that could give a little extra light to a Cat-22 appearance despite the unlikeliness of it. 

What I meant by "on the fence" before, I meant in a way that if he was added I wouldn't mind at all and would be happy with his inclusion, but if he is never going to be added, I can understand why not.

Well, I also can understand why the DevTeam would prefer to bypass the difficulties entailed in bringing Cat-22 to FusionFall Legacy.  The technical obstacles are formidable, rather more so, I think, than the legal obstacles (even if those were being considered by the team).  And, to be fair, I suppose not everyone loves the Cat-22 shorts as much as I do.

I shall at least continue hoping for a plausibly deniable beanie with floppy doggy ears, as a memento of everyone's favorite undercover feline shlimazl

Hammerman68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 01:22:46 AM »
Well what usually happens to a company that goes south is what they own is either given to a partner company, sold, or free for anyone. What I mean is since the company that has the trademark or ownership no longer exists doesn't that mean it's free use? Since no one can sue you for using something from a company that no longer exists

Tannhaeuser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 05:51:24 AM »
Okay, who quoted this on Wikipedia? Dudes, this isn't a valid reference!

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.