Author Topic: what do you think the expansion will add  (Read 956 times)

Awkward_School

• View Profile
    • Email
what do you think the expansion will add
« on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
I'm just curious on what people think will be added with the expansion, we already know about the 2 nanos that are being added johnny bravo and flapjack.

Superstarxalien

• Proud wearer of the Moxy Bubblehead
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what do you think the expansion will add
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
tom from toonami is definitely gonna be in with the absolution
we're going to stormalong too
and I'm also hype over the fact that were getting 16 new guide missions that are all good

Awkward_School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
that's cool. sadly this game won't let me play while i'm at my college i get infinite loading screen on all characters except if i make new character.

LandMaster2952

• IGN is Venture Man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
I dug up some stuff Devan said before that could give us a clue:

(Text bolded to draw attention to the relevant point in this discussion)

Oh yeah , and i remember on the ,, ocean'' on the map there was this skull island : https://gyazo.com/5a29e0cbb56347bf305f502a3b3092db is it suppoesed to be Total Drama island? i remember i wanted to go there but i couldn't there was an invisible wall

The original developers intended to actually make this a real area with an Infected Zone as an expansion through 2010. However, developers shifted and that got lost by the wayside. As Drazil posted, just south of there was a platform testing area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgEHIb8IQXY

Here's a video of the place if you're interested. This area was deleted in 2009 in a build prior to Retro.

About the mobs the OG FF's devs scrapped, was there any that seemed rather promising, Devan?

The Zoo and Aquarium were cut rather late in development and actually have mobs ingame, though the graphics for them aren't present. One mob I really wish we could see in full is this bounce house enemy! They had made an icon for him, but no texture or model data exists, so the icon is pretty much the only look we get at him. It's just such a fun mob idea! Then of course, there's the handful of expansion mobs the devs had added. I really wish we would've gotten the expansion proper before the FusionFall gameplan changed.

On top of the initial plan shifting from a primarily Grigon run content schedule to an exclusively CN one, upper management pretty much totally changed the entire planned content schedule and re-wrote it from the ground up. Initially, level expansions, new areas, and more Nanos were planned to be released in early 2010, alongside more DexLabs Upgrades. Though much of the content was made, management pretty much decided  that since CN was left to upkeep, they would keep updates more streamlined and smaller, and use them to advertise much more heavily, especially for their newer hit shows like Adventure Time.

As you may have noticed, CN's team wasn't as consistent or quite up to par with the original Grigon team, so new content kinda suffered. As a result of the rough reception of the 2011 schedule, especially up through the Fusion Safari event, management pulled the plug on resources for the game, and kept it live so long as it kept up with ad revenue. A couple years later, it wasn't hitting the usual marks, and the game was terminated.

This is the big picture, and I could go on with finer details about missed opportunity, content that wasn't released, etc. but I expect this explains it in good enough detail.

Sym-Titan was half-baked for the same reason most of the later game content was. Money fuels everything, and FusionFall's budget was pitiful for its last few years. All content updates through 2010 onward were basically adverts made by as few people as possible. If they didn't need to make unique content, why should they?

Moreover, they actually didn't even make that monster. That monster was originally made in 2009 and planned for their initial expansion, as part of Monster Island. The creature itself is internally referenced as Hibagon, which places it from the Secret Saturdays, not Sym-Titan. This is also corroborated by the fact that the Saturdays, Flapjack, and Chowder content they planned are basically all from one single episode from each of their series. The Hibagon episode of Saturdays also features the Kumari Serpent, which was also repurposed as the transport to the Darklands.

Hey, everyone! This is going to be a lengthy post addressing some of the concerns we’ve been hearing in regards to us adding content to FusionFall Retro, so buckle in!

First and foremost, we’d like to address why it is simply not feasible to go about leaving FusionFall Retro as a snapshot in time.

Games like FusionFall are exclusively online and are designed to have an influx of updates in order to keep player interest past what’s there initially. A large portion of the gameplay loop relies on players interacting with each other, and should we leave the game static, as a “snapshot” of what FusionFall was, general interest in the game would gradually decrease as people complete the game and defeat Lord Fuse. As the number of players decreases, the less people there are to talk to, trade with, team up with and so on, so the less fun the experience gets for everyone. In fact, it’s very likely that in this scenario the number of players would eventually decrease until it got to the point where it simply wouldn’t justify what it costs us to keep FusionFall Retro online.

While it is unfortunate that there isn’t a “snapshot” of the game where you can play a version of the game exactly identical to the one playable in January 2010, hosting that separately would be expensive and also fragment the already small community, and our statistics back up new content & events being very much beneficial to the health of the community as a whole.

Next, it’s important to address why the content we are adding is not identical to the updates that the original FusionFall received. Through FusionFall’s life, the game went through two separate teams of developers, being the original team behind the game, and a later team brought in after about a year to take over updates. The second team that was updating the game didn’t adhere to the first team’s plans and instead were tasked with making updates that were more so used as advertisements, which resulted in an oversaturation of lower level missions with very little late game content added throughout the game’s life. Paired the second team’s extremely controversial removal of the Future Zone, we elected not to go down this path.

While we in no way have the resources, tools, or assets required to be able to totally faithfully adhere to the original team’s intentions, we’re striving to remain as faithful to the original plans for expansion as possible. We’d like to stick to their original ideas and concepts that we’ve been able to uncover, and implement as much as we can in a way that feels organic to the original game, interesting for the players, and faithful to what was originally planned for FusionFall in 2010 and beyond.

Finally, we’d like to address what FusionFall Legacy is in relation to FusionFall Retro, since there’s some confusion on that front as well. The original goal of Legacy from some years back was to recreate the original game in entirety, while also introducing a few new elements to keep things fresh, as we’ve been doing with Retro. As you may be able to guess, Retro already fills that role, and has for some time, so we instead decided to go in a completely different direction with Legacy. The goal of Legacy now is to be a completely separate game, with different mechanics, combat, features, items, NPCs, etc. while still being a ‘FusionFall’ game.

The story and ideas of Legacy in both lore and gameplay are born from FusionFall, but we’ve revisited nearly every single aspect of the original game and decided to address if it felt fun, if certain things felt meaningful or needed to be present in the game at all, and if we should be introducing new elements to make something more coherent. The short version is that FusionFall Retro and FusionFall Legacy are two totally different games, and to expect FusionFall Legacy to simply “replace” Retro down the line is not a sound mindset, especially considering the shift in game genre between them.

We hope this helps those of you who are confused or even against FusionFall Retro receiving updates and new content understand why it is important that the world of FusionFall continue to expand, and we hope that it’s made clear that we’re doing our best to make sure that everything we add feels right and remains faithful to the core ideas behind FusionFall Retro to the best of our ability.

Is that why he was scrapped? Was he ever going to be a world boss or just a cool looking prop?

As far as we can tell, he was going to be a boss that guarded a gate on Monster Island before the expansion was scrapped.

https://www.forums.fusionfalluniverse.com/index.php?topic=23425.0

Funny enough, it's not the number of missions that matters, but the total fusion matter rewarded from that level's missions. We could make a single level have just two missions but reward enough fm to level up. We'll be looking to balance the number of missions and rewarded fm so that the expansion doesn't feel like a slog and grinding won't really be super required.

Just to clarify, a show being on or off air doesn't matter in regards to adding it to Retro, Legacy, etc. With the way things are headed, I could honestly see both KO and Steven being added down the line. However, we don't plan to introduce these really new series to the game before sort of going through the order they would have been in. A whole bunch of Flapjack and Saturdays content for example was planned to be in the first expansion, and we'd first like to do right by the team's original plans and add content "chronologically" so to speak.

I'd also like to add that we're very much interested in giving basically everything a fair chance. You've already seen that with Time Squad, and you definitely won't see the last of it. I think pretty much every single series CN has to offer can be fit somewhere in the game, whether that's an old series not well represented through characters like Lazlo, or a brand new series like Steven.

As he said, the team wants to stick with the original plans of Grigons dev team. He also said that the initial plans for Grigions first expansion mainly focused on Flapjack and The Secret Saturdays based content.

I think for this reason that the two areas are going to be Monster Island and Stromalong Harbor.

From what is said to be left over from the expansion, Monster Island was probably the area with the most done on it before the OG expansion was cancelled. As stated before, the Hibagon (a cryptid from the Secret Saturdays) was supposed to be an enemy used on Monster Island, and the area was even going to receive it's own music track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmA0ZkWaS9s

The dev team would also probably reuse as many assets as they could in order to save time on the expansions development.

As for Stormalong Harbor, the Shipwrecker is a leftover from the planned Flapjack content, and Chowders Mouth in the OG game was originally going to be Bubbies mouth.

InfinitePossibilities

• YouTuber, Universal Guide Editor
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
and I'm also hype over the fact that were getting 16 new guide missions that are all good

None of these are confirmed but entirely speculation.
There is no confirmation that we're going to have Tom, the Absolution, or Stormalong in the Expansion.
There is also no confirmation we will receive 16 brand new guide missions - though it would make sense with the new levels.
All the community has are speculation. Only the devs know what's really going to be included.

Ferbbat101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »
I made a thread about the nanos. I think it's Zak Saturday and TOM

Awkward_School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »

There is no confirmation that we're going to have Tom, the Absolution, or Stormalong in the Expansion.
There is also no confirmation we will receive 16 brand new guide missions - though it would make sense with the new levels.
All the community has are speculation. Only the devs know what's really going to be included.
thanks infinite for replying, and one of the areas could be stormalong (could be i'm just guessing like you said the devs know truly) but the stormalong area would make sense because of the flapjack nano we're getting with the expansion, in all honesty I want adventure time nano's in the future. I would also like to know how the progress of legacy is going. I'm anticipating it with all it's glory.

InfinitePossibilities

• YouTuber, Universal Guide Editor
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »

thanks infinite for replying, and one of the areas could be stormalong (could be i'm just guessing like you said the devs know truly) but the stormalong area would make sense because of the flapjack nano we're getting with the expansion, in all honesty I want adventure time nano's in the future. I would also like to know how the progress of legacy is going. I'm anticipating it with all it's glory.
You're welcome. :)
Yeah, it would make sense for Stormalong to be included in the Expansion. There have been many teasers for it. I would like to have Adventure Time nanos included as well. Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, and hopefully more would be a very welcome addition to the game. Hopefully, for the Jake nano, the devs redesign him.

Looking at the previous Picture of the Days, Finn has appeared with a remodeled look.

This one right here is not a PotD and not even part of the FusionFall Universe but here's an ancient photo by Devan of a remodeled Jake:

marshal98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
I think the expansion will include monster island and stormalong harbor as new areas

Ferbbat101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
Talks about the absolution crashing into the ocean excites me. While I wasn't one of the people who thought that could come in the expansion I am definitely all for it. I love TOM.

BlooZura

• bubbles thicc
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »
stuff

Awkward_School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 11:41:11 AM »

You're welcome. :)
Yeah, it would make sense for Stormalong to be included in the Expansion. There have been many teasers for it. I would like to have Adventure Time nanos included as well. Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, and hopefully more would be a very welcome addition to the game. Hopefully, for the Jake nano, the devs redesign him.

Looking at the previous Picture of the Days, Finn has appeared with a remodeled look.

This one right here is not a PotD and not even part of the FusionFall Universe but here's an ancient photo by Devan of a remodeled Jake:

I spoke with Przzy for a bit when i first got into retro and stated this in a message as a suggestion and my honest opinion, "I would love adventure time characters and a few of the stuff that we got with the new beginnings updated minus the academy." I want the characters from the update without a tutorial change basically no academy (tell me if i make no sense)

Superstarxalien

• Proud wearer of the Moxy Bubblehead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
I spoke with Przzy for a bit when i first got into retro and stated this in a message as a suggestion and my honest opinion, "I would love adventure time characters and a few of the stuff that we got with the new beginnings updated minus the academy." I want the characters from the update without a tutorial change basically no academy (tell me if i make no sense)
nah you make complete sense, I'd really like to see all the academy characters in retro
they sucked back then but the retro team really knows how to make them shine

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.