Author Topic: the cul-de-sac smas hvehicle suggestion  (Read 375 times)

Superstarxalien

• Proud wearer of the Moxy Bubblehead
    • View Profile
    • Email
the cul-de-sac smas hvehicle suggestion
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:52:08 PM »
YOU

YES, YOU

DO YOU REMEMBER THIS GAME?!

DO YOU REMEMBER IT???

well guess what I just made

THE CUL-DE-SAC SMASH VEHICLE SUGGESTION for FusionFall Retro (no trademark)

As you can see, this is a 3D model (!) that I made in my spare time to show a concept of what could be a vehicle made for FusionFall that is inspired on one of Cartoon Network's website games, Ed, Edd n Eddy Game: Cul-de-Sac Smash, a game where you rode go-carts as any Ed, Edd n Eddy character and crashed into other characters' carts, the winner being the last one standing. This is a 3D rendition of one of the game's many go-carts, in fact; as in that game you could buy parts to customize your cart, this one is based on a specific setup that you could make. More on that later.

The reason why I made this suggestion was because I kinda really wanted a reference to one of Cartoon Network's many games. There's Father's remodel, which actually drew inspiration from Cartoon Network Punch-Time Explosion, but that was really about it. As for this game in particular, it was one of my favorite games growing up, and for some reason Peach Creek Commons only has two vehicles, which is just criminal for a series as rich as Ed, Edd n Eddy. Though that's just my bias speaking. This could give the vehicle vendor in Peach Creek more variety, and it would be a fun reference on top of that.

ITS NAME, ITS ITEM NAME. WHAT IS IT?

I have no idea.

Okay, so the thing is: since every vehicle in the game was referred to as "go-cart", and the go-carts you could build had an option for writing your own name on them, there isn't really much of a name you can give to this. Well, at least one that people could recognize from this very game, anyway.

Now, in the game (and its sequel!) you actually started with a pre-built go-cart called "Zippy". I guess this could be the "standout" name of the go-carts from these games, but it's not really that good of a name. I guess Cul-de-Sac Smasher could also be an option? Or maybe even just Go-cart, who knows.

IS IT REALLY GOING TO BE THAT UGLY OF A COLOR?

Oh, what? No. Well, uh, maybe?

In the two games, the color of the go-carts depends on the character you choose, so there really isn't much of a default color. This is Eddy's color, by the way.

I do want to show you two recolors of the go-cart, though, with Ed and Double D's colors:

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SAY?

Good that you asked, I was just about to ramble on about its making.

One of the things I should note right away is that most of the elements in this 3D rendition I made were actually taken from official material that comes from both of the Cul-de-Sac Smash games. For the sole Cul-de-Sac Smash vehicle in FusionFall, I'm basing this off a cart with the plastic bin cockpit (the game uses that term for those parts so at this point it's just stuck in me), the metal can body, and the regular wheels selected. The trash can body appears on the title screen of the very first game, and the plastic bin is grouped together with the trash can in the second game (more on that even later), so this appears to be the most "mainstream" setup that could be used.

The trash can body uses both the title screen and the garage sprite as reference. In the game, none of the go-cart bodies have any visible holes for the cul-de-sac kids to sit in. There are no seats or steering wheels visible in-game, either. How do they drive these things? However, the title screen for the first game depicts a noticeable crease in the cart Eddy is driving, so I took that as a base.

The plastic bin cockpit has some major deviations to it, mostly in the enormous hole that was somehow made to it (how do you even cut plastic?). Featuring the cockpit as normally depicted would be unfeasible, as this a hovercar type of FusionFall vehicle and your character's head and arms would clip through the cockpit. Instead, I opted to trim a huge hole in it, so that nothing would (hopefully) clip through. The cockpit is also facing the opposite direction, funnily enough. I made it so that the hole faced the other side, so that very element of the cockpit didn't get lost like with the whole trimmed side of it.

I was actually deciding whether or not to keep the cockpit, as the title screens of both games don't have them present, instead showing one of the characters driving the go-cart (which you don't really see in-game). In the end I kept it as I felt it was a major feature of those carts.

The handle and the seat seem like the two most not-actually-found-in-the-game things, but hear me out! The seat is ACTUALLY taken right from the game's sequel, Ed, Edd n Eddy - Cul de Sac Smash II: Wheels Of Fury.

In the sequel, cockpit parts were merged with body parts to make way for the brand new engine parts, which meant that every body part you chose came with a cockpit, each from the first game; the first body part, the toaster, comes with the cardboard box as the cockpit, the trash can with the plastic bin (as mentioned before), and the radiator with the trash can. In the go-cart shop, right before you select anything, each part is rendered semi-transparent, including the radiator. This comes with an incredible oddity:

Would you look at that! What appears to be a seat is hidden right beneath the trash can! When selected, the trash can becomes opaque, and the "seat" is no longer seen. I used an interpretation of this for the seat, as this is the only instance in either of the two games where a seat for the carts can be seen. ...It kind of doesn't look very good, though.

As for the handle... uh... it is actually original to this model lol. While the title screen of the first game does show Eddy handling a steering wheel, which does appear to be a way in which one can feasibly drive one of these go-carts, every hovercar in FusionFall forces your player to do that stupid pose with the bike handle that most of the time doesn't exist, so that had to be changed. I decided to base it more or less off of the handles in Kevin's bike, but for some reason I kinda don't like how it ended up either. :-\

The weirdest (and possibly most jeopardizing) part of this vehicle suggestion has to be the wheels. I kind of really had to add them because the go-cart just simply wouldn't look good without them, kind of like how it needs wheels to be a cart moreso than just a heap of trash. And even then, because this is FusionFall, this vehicle is gonna have to float, so it might just be all around weird. I wanted to make the wheels animated, but I couldn't really bother to go and get some GIF-clipping software so I could record it, let alone actually animating it. I also did try something with rotating the wheels 40 degrees, kind of like how you see hovercars do with their wheels in FusionFall, but it looked weird to me. I don't know, maybe I just did it wrong?

Speaking of wrongdoings, the UV mapping on this thing is garbage (haha, get it, because it's a trash can vehicle), and I'm pretty sure I got the proportions very, very wrong in some parts. Though, to be fair, it already is kind of hard to make a vehicle like this without any sort of proper reference, and besides I'm not even a very good modeler anyway. This is actually, like, my best looking model so far, which kind of makes me sad, but also proud. ???

And... that's about it. Lots of words for sure, but I guess that just shows how passionate I am for this very particular vehicle suggestion. I could almost give Carl a run for his money.

So, what do you guys think? :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:27:40 PM by Superstarxalien »

LandMaster2952

• IGN is Venture Man
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: the cul-de-sac smas hvehicle suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:16 PM »
I loved playing the game as a kid, so yeah, I do believe that it should get a shoutout in FusionFall. ;D

I think the best thing to do with the idea is for the artists to redesign the model to be more in line with FusionFall's art style, and maybe make it more hovercar-esque. Or, if it's possible, make the wheels animated and have it be the first non-hovering vehicle in the game!  :)

Overall, I think it's a great foundation to start off of! Nice job!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:12:21 AM by LandMaster2952 »

Pistol_SpaceAir

• A FashionFaller whom also knows too much...
    • View Profile
    • VidLii
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:07:59 AM »
Good looking thread. An interesting idea as well. I'm surprised they even bothered drawing a seat. +1

Numbuh1Nerd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 04:35:19 AM »
MAJOR upvote!! I never played the game, but this ticks all the boxes for me! I love it!!

Poppleworks

• IGN: Mister Poppleworks
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:30 AM »
This is truly incredible!

ajdsimon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »
Support 100%. Id love to see this

P3e5a3c5e

• Crossover freak XD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »
I am fondly surprised! I can see it as a new vehicle in the game. Major support!

TheRealMarcel

• Dr. Rickso and Morty Pudding
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Support for fun! ;D

CrazEncyclomaniac

• The Omnitrix sells for 200 bucks on Ebay
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:24:59 PM »
Will definitely hit people with a wave of strange nostalgia.
Support +1!

Superstarxalien

• Proud wearer of the Moxy Bubblehead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
Hey, everyone! It's time I bring you in with an update for this suggestion! An update that you didn't ask for.

I took the time to recreate the colored variants of the go-cart for every character that was playable in both games, which includes Kevin, Jonny, Rolf, and the Kanker sisters. For some reason, Sara and Jimmy are absent from both games, while Nazz makes a cameo as the trophy girl for the go-cart tournament.

From top to bottom, left to right:
Ed, Edd, Eddy, Kevin, Jonny 2x4, Rolf, May Kanker, Marie Kanker, Lee Kanker

Beyond that, I also tried to fix the issue with the wheels by making them resemble "hover wheels", so to speak. I simply rotated them by 25 degrees. I think it looks better this way?

I was also considering flat-out giving them the wheels of a hovercar, as it's in the show's nature to make contraptions out of misplaced objects. That would knock the vehicle off of the reference it's supposed to be, though.

And... that's it. I don't have anything witty to fare you off with.

marshal98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:02 AM »
+1SUPPORT

FusionFall is a registered trademark of the Turner Broadcasting System. FusionFall Universe, FusionFall Legacy, and FusionFall Retro are in no way affiliated with Turner Broadcasting or any of its subsidiaries. The FusionFall Universe team claims no rights to anything owned by Cartoon Network, Inc. whether it be shows, sounds, game assets, etc. We have no intentions to infringe upon the exclusive rights to the content belonging to Cartoon Network featured within our network of sites. FusionFall Legacy and FusionFall Retro are fan recreations intended for the preservation of the closed down MMO game, FusionFall.